Thread: Which DJ Software (PC)

Threaded View

I'm not a controller DJ so take it for what it's worth.. but I do own a Traktor Z1 /w Traktor LE setup and with this setup you absolutely must use sync because there are no manual pitch controls... and I have to say, even without gridding the tracks ahead of time, the sync has been amazingly good. I only use the thing when I don't have CDJ/XDJ to play on.. which is only a handful of times. So I have nothing prepped, I just drag the track onto the deck and it works. On the other hand, as the sound engineer at a good number of events I've seen many Traktor screw ups, lock ups, failure to talk to the controller .. if there's a software failure on stage it's always Traktor. Serato DJ is less popular but seems a lot more reliable. Some friends of mine have been on Serato for many years and I've never seen it mess up on them. The Serato guys just get up there and play with no drama.

Then there is Rekordbox which I use only in its role as a prep tool for Pioneer CDJ's and XDJ's but several friends of mine DJ with Pioneer controllers and RB and they like it. The bog advantage there is that if you do play at a club all your stuff exports straight to USB sticks and comes up on the CDJ's just as you see them on your controller setup. You can also export playlists from RB to a USB stick or hard disk and if you plug that into a friends rekordbox setup you'll see your playlists etc alongside his which is great if you want to tag or just share gear.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 09-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.