Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which DJ Software (PC)

I'm not a controller DJ so take it for what it's worth.. but I do own a Traktor Z1 /w Traktor LE setup and with this setup you absolutely must use sync because there are no manual pitch controls... and I have to say, even without gridding the tracks ahead of time, the sync has been amazingly good. I only use the thing when I don't have CDJ/XDJ to play on.. which is only a handful of times. So I have nothing prepped, I just drag the track onto the deck and it works. On the other hand, as the sound engineer at a good number of events I've seen many Traktor screw ups, lock ups, failure to talk to the controller .. if there's a software failure on stage it's always Traktor. Serato DJ is less popular but seems a lot more reliable. Some friends of mine have been on Serato for many years and I've never seen it mess up on them. The Serato guys just get up there and play with no drama.

Then there is Rekordbox which I use only in its role as a prep tool for Pioneer CDJ's and XDJ's but several friends of mine DJ with Pioneer controllers and RB and they like it. The bog advantage there is that if you do play at a club all your stuff exports straight to USB sticks and comes up on the CDJ's just as you see them on your controller setup. You can also export playlists from RB to a USB stick or hard disk and if you plug that into a friends rekordbox setup you'll see your playlists etc alongside his which is great if you want to tag or just share gear.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 09-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beep View Post
    $300 is approximately three times more than I am willing to pay for DJ software. I am happy to pay money for software and I don't use warez but no DJ software is worth $300 to me personally, particularly when it's triple the cost of other options that may fit the bill.

Serato $129
    Traktor Pro $99
    DJay Pro $49
    Mixvibes Cross DJ Pro $99
    Mixxx $0
    etc
    Traktor isn't a lifetime purchase. I have Traktor 2, to upgrade to 3 will cost me more money. I had to pay for the Traktor 2 licence, even though I already had a licence for a version before they added "Pro" to the title, that was also Traktor 2 (edit Traktor 2 Studio not the current Free Traktor 2 DJ). Serato has extras not included in the base price, they may charge for new features in updates in a similar way. Serato came free with my controller (plus the extras) I still purchased VDJ. Cubase (a DAW by Steinberg) brings out a new .5 every year, this costs around £80. FL another DAW, has similar pricing to VDJ... If Steinberg worked like FL, like VDJ, a 1 off payment would of saved me a fortune.

When it comes to cost, think long term not short term.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 09-20-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Traktor isn't a lifetime purchase. I have Traktor 2, to upgrade to 3 will cost me more money. I had to pay for the Traktor 2 licence, even though I already had a licence for a version before they added "Pro" to the title, that was also Traktor 2 (edit Traktor 2 Studio not the current Free Traktor 2 DJ). Serato has extras not included in the base price, they may charge for new features in updates in a similar way. Serato came free with my controller (plus the extras) I still purchased VDJ. Cubase (a DAW by Steinberg) brings out a new .5 every year, this costs around £80. FL another DAW, has similar pricing to VDJ... If Steinberg worked like FL, like VDJ, a 1 off payment would of saved me a fortune.

When it comes to cost, think long term not short term.
    Lol what is the point of this patronising reply. Did you read my post?

Lol what is the point of this patronising reply. Did you read my post?
    No, that's just my personality. Your reply was comparing prices. I was simply pointing out that although the others seem cheaper, they're not much different from VDJ and the single controller license. You have to pay to upgrade, it's not the same comparison. A lot of people overlook these things and get scared by a higher price tag, when it's actually cheaper in the long run.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 09-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.

My reply also highlighted that the reason for the thread was to gain people's opinions on what software would be best for me.

You don't have to pay to upgrade, because you don't have to upgrade. VDJ doesn't actually guarantee free lifetime updates (although to date all pro upgrades have been free).

Anyway, I'm not in need of advice on how much it is worth me spending. It's a weird thing to argue about. I'm quite accustomed to making decisions and weighing up how much I can justify spending on music software and gear. I don't have a spare $/£300 for this, I'd be happy spending up to about $/£100. I already know which level of VDJ would be best for me if I decided to go for it (It would be home plus at $99, it includes everything I need, just a bit nervous that it becomes useless if my controller breaks).

What I am looking for is people's opinions on which software is better. If you think VDJ is the right package to use, can you give me some reasoning - what makes it better than the competition in terms of features/usability etc etc.

You already specified that VDJ was everything you needed, making it unrequired for me to specify "what makes it better"

Virtual DJ also seems to do everything I need. Subscription / licensing model a bit odd though.
    I was simply explaining why their pricing model wasn't odd and is actually better, especially in the long run. To do a simple like for like $$$ comparison as you did isn't accurate. If you cant afford $300, $100 is perfect, that's 4 generations of controllers before you'll be at a loss. And, for your $100, you'll always have the newest version of VDJ to use on your same controller, new features, fx etc, as i did with 2018 and 2020 (that's just dropped), that's 2 new versions for FREE. When a new controller comes out that you want, the old software wouldn't be plug and play anyways, the old Software would have to be patched/upgraded, it wouldn't know what your new controller is. VDJ does this automatically in about a month of any new product. There's many more variable to the hole financial thing, why $300 is the cheapest option for a seriously into this person. If not serious, $100 is even better! Your old controller will be able to use new features many years into the future, for free. Sat in your back room set up or packed away, you could have a year or 2 break, come back, jump into the new version, still for your original $100.

2018 biggest thing was all the video, graphics, shaders for free
    2020 is the scheduler, again free

2 big features I don't use. It's the little improvements that do it for me.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 09-23-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Serato $129
    Traktor Pro $99
    DJay Pro $49
    Mixvibes Cross DJ Pro $99
    Mixxx $0
    etc
    A quick update for the year 2020 in case anyone new follows this thread -

As a long time supporter of Mixvibes, I use Cross V3.4.3 for DJ'ing. I consider it excellent DJ software. Unfortunately, I don't think you can purchase a license for it anymore. IMHO, their newest (replacement) version, V4.1, on a PC is a can of worms - outrageously high resource/graphics pig that makes jerky Serato wave forms look like a walk in the park. Stay away from it.
    Last edited by Hanginon; 02-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Hello Dave!
    I also had the same question when i started DJing, i watched a lot of reviews on youtube and I decided to use Traktor.
    Why - because it has the most of interesting stuff built in! tons of effects, awesome cue point system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-L2VxoxnRI) and stem decks that actually is exclusive for Traktor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grgjIhs-OC8)
    But it`s not perfect! because traktor is way more heavy DJ software than others, so you will have to get a good computer, at last 16GB Ram with i5 or i7.