Thread: Techniques for quickly removing a track in the mix?

Techniques for quickly removing a track in the mix?

Hi,

Does anybody have any techniques to quickly removing a track that is playing?

Example: If you are playing a track and the crowd aren't enjoying it etc.

Any tips or tricks using the effects?

Thanks

The old SL1200 off switch (let the track grind to a halt) while a new one starts can do the trick.

Or, realistically, how about: Snap a 2 bar loop out of it and play with the effects, and pitch up or down to match the tempo of the next track you are going to mix in in.

Send to an echo/delay effect with a long feedback, seep a filter down and turn it into a wash of sound to mix the new track up out of.

A straight cut to a really exciting, recognisable crowd pleaser, on the right beat.

I guess it really depends on what track you are playing and what you want to put on next.

If the track is that bad, stop the track, pull the vinyl off the TT, (While scratching the needle across the record)
    Frisbee it across the room.

In general I wouldn't suggest a super abrupt stop to the playing track - if you can feel the room isn't vibing it, just get a better track ready and begin mixing in when the next phrase begins

Even if you don't have a good track playing, keep your mix smooth (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by D'jramatist View Post
    If the track is that bad, stop the track, pull the vinyl off the TT, (While scratching the needle across the record)
    Frisbee it across the room.

yes!!! ... know your tunes so you can mash another in quickly... read the crowd before it slows down.. umm thats my advice.... or u can use heaps of fx and stop the music completely... start having a convo with your crowd using the mic and tell them to dance

On a CDJ (=nearly all the newer Pioneer players) you'd do the same as with turntables, slow down to halt but turn off master tempo (otherwise you get digital artifacts) and set pitch range to 100% if it allows you to.

Iirc the CDJ-100S didn't have the wide pitch range but it had flashy FX like phaser, zip and flanger which could be used for that (along with stutter).. it did have master tempo though.

for a once off you could use echo and backspin on a cdj.... nice effect and you should have ur next track cued anyways... peace