Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: DJ License to play publicly

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Northern Illinois

    DJ License to play publicly

    I am bidding on a gig were the venue states that you must have your own License to play publicly. I tried e-mailing ASCAP but they said that the DJ is not responsible, even though i tried to explain the situation to them.
    Where do i have to go, and what do i have to obtain to get a License?
    I understand that normally it would be the venues responsibility, but for sake of argument lets just assume i really need this.

  2. #2
    Deez Beats! KLH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    In your head
    BMI and ASCAP both hold venues responsible for licensing, not DJs.

    If you subscribe to a music pool, I'd show them their licensing agreement. That should convince the venue that you're using licensed music.

    EDIT: The above is an opinion. If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to engage a lawyer.
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

  3. #3
    Truck Driver Dix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    I agree. Even if you get a licence or authority to pay ASCAP, the venue is the one who is ultimately responsible. They're still gonna have to get a licence & pay the ASCAP fees etc.
    I'm not saying that you cant get an ASCAP licence. I'm just saying that, that will not get the venue legal.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

    2) Join VIP & support DJF:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts