Thread: DJ License to play publicly

DJ License to play publicly

I am bidding on a gig were the venue states that you must have your own License to play publicly. I tried e-mailing ASCAP but they said that the DJ is not responsible, even though i tried to explain the situation to them.
    Where do i have to go, and what do i have to obtain to get a License?
    I understand that normally it would be the venues responsibility, but for sake of argument lets just assume i really need this.

BMI and ASCAP both hold venues responsible for licensing, not DJs.

If you subscribe to a music pool, I'd show them their licensing agreement. That should convince the venue that you're using licensed music.

EDIT: The above is an opinion. If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to engage a lawyer.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I agree. Even if you get a licence or authority to pay ASCAP, the venue is the one who is ultimately responsible. They're still gonna have to get a licence & pay the ASCAP fees etc.
    I'm not saying that you cant get an ASCAP licence. I'm just saying that, that will not get the venue legal.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php