Thread: Equipment

Equipment

So I've had some good signings to labels and releases that have gotten played a lot and I want to get into djing not only producing. I have had traktor with controller to practice on but I don't want to drag around a laptop. I'm thinking of buying cdjs cause it seems like it's what most djs use now. What is my best bet for buying some cdjs? I don't really know how the whole infrastructure work. I don't want to drag around cdjs either so when I buy something I need to practice on equipment that most venues/clubs have.

You pretty much need both

If you’re talkin’ about being a club DJ, you better get used to lugging that laptop around. If you plan to be a mobile DJ, lugging around a laptop is the LEAST of your worries.😄

You don't have to lug around a laptop to be a club DJ, a USB drive is all you need when playing on CDJs.

What CDJs to get depends on your budget. CDJs = Pioneer and the Nexus models are the top of the line models and cost as much as a decent used car. If you just want something basic to practice on there's the CDJ350s but they're very basic but can be found quite cheap on the second hand market. If you want almost the same functions as the top of the range Nexus kit but at a much lower price, check out the XDJ-RX2, which is an all in one unit that contains two decks and a mixer with a touch screen that supports all features available in Rekordbox.

I checked out your mixes and I like what you play and do. You play stuff from the same labels I release on. Maybe you even played one of my tracks.

What do you use and do you you bring it to every gig? Is it not normal to use the equipment that the venue/club has?