Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experienced Amateur Musician/Producer New to Turntablism

Experienced Amateur Musician/Producer New to Turntablism

Forty five (yes, 45) year old experienced amateur musician/producer finally getting around to wanting to invest some time in turntablism. Not looking to DJ at clubs, just want to use it to possibly bring another dynamic to my electronic/dance based tracks I produce at home. I'm looking to try and get skilled enough to adequately do some basic beatjuggling and scratching. Looking for gear quality enough to not hinder my progress at honing my DJ skills, or sound like a guy on a budget, yet at the same time, of course not wanting to be wasteful w/money.

I'm looking to start off strictly using vinyl, and that very well may be where I stay forever, however, would not be surprised if I eventually get into digital vinyl systems in the future like Serato. However, my primary interest at the moment, and foreseeable upcoming months, is developing some skills with a basic (but quality) vinyl setup. Don't care much about FX, mixing digital tracks, etc at the moment.

I don't know any DJ's, but I've been scouring YouTube and watching a ton of tutorials. I've also been looking at and reading various reviews. Probably going to purchase my setup in a few weeks. I'm leaning towards the Reloop RP-7000 MK2's. As far as a mixer goes, I really have no idea, but figure I might as well just stay with a Reloop and same with the cartridge/stylus.

So, here's what I'm currently leaning towards, just curious if anyone has any thoughts or advice:
    • 2 Reloop RP-7000 MK2 Turntables
    • 2 Reloop Ortofon Concorde Black Turntable Cartridge and Stylus
    • Reloop RMX-22i Mixer

Since you won't be performing live buying two turntables is a waste of money in my opinion.
    Beat-juggling can be performed easily with software by either looping a sample or repeatedly pushing a button to cue a sample.

I would buy one good turntable and a good scratch mixer.

If you can afford it I would recommend the Rane SEVENTY-TWO. $1,899
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rane/SE...d-Serato-DJ.gc

or a cheaper option;

The Reloop KUT $600
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Reloop/...attle-Mixer.gc

Or a used;
    Rane TTM 57SL
    Rane TTM 56
    Rane TTM 56S
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

RELOOP KUT + RP-8000 + rekordbox DJ Breakdown with DJ Sojo of Senate DJs for agiprodj.com
    6:47

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Or a used;
    Rane TTM 57SL
    Rane TTM 56
    Rane TTM 56S
    There might be someplace that still has a new Rane TTM 57SL or a new Rane TTM 56S. But they've been out of production for a few years now.

^Hi, thanks for the replies and thoughts. I just looked through your links and watched the video. I hadn't yet seen that one, but I have seen some others with the RP-8000 and the KUT mixer in action.

I maybe should've explained a little farther. It's true I have no interest in DJing at clubs, however, I'm interested in producing by recording live at home and then cherry picking loops and excerpts from that to then combine with various other loops and layer and build. For example, I'd like to record myself doing improvised beatjuggling and scratching and then use various bits and pieces as either the basis of a track or an enhancement to an existing track I've created through other means.

Additionally, I want to understand the art of turntablism in its root, most basic form (vinyl, 2 turntables and a mixer) and get to know the actual feel of real vinyl on a real turntable, before venturing down other paths. I already have a vinyl collection, which continues to grow.

Also, I'm interested in just bugging out at home with raw beatjuggling and scratching just for the fun of it.

And, I'm reluctant to bring this one up b/c I don't want to start a holy war but I'm interested in the analog sound of real vinyl.

I'm of course a total newb, so possibly I'm making some incorrect assumption about turntablism? That said, I think I'm relatively well versed in the current technology as far as music production in general goes. For example, my production for years now my production is done nearly entirely "in the box" using Ableton and plug ins and some other samples and loops from here and there... Though I do use an analog synth from time to time.

I would start used for now.

Two used Technics SL-1200 series turntables & a used Rane TTM 56 or Rane TTM 56S.
    And buy some scratch records.
    https://shopmegadj.com/collections/scratch-vinyl

Later you can add a DVS.

Pioneer DJ INTERFACE 2 (Rekordbox) $299
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...dj-interface-2

Denon DJ DS1 (Serato DJ) $349
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...--denon-dj-ds1

For sound quality go Technics new if you can afford it, used if you can't.
    For turntablism go new Reloop RP-8000 MK2.

For turntablism on a budget go used high-end DJ turntables.
    Stanton 150
    Numark TTX
    Reloop RP-8000
    Vestax PDX-2000 MKII

For sound quality go Technics new if you can afford it, used if you can't.
    For turntablism go new Reloop RP-8000 MK2.

For turntablism on a budget go used high-end DJ turntables.
    Stanton 150
    Numark TTX
    Reloop RP-8000
    Vestax PDX-2000 MKII
    Hmmmm... Interesting suggestions. It's my understanding the RP-8000 is simply the RP-7000 w/ built in Serato support (not interested in at this point) and MIDI pads (not interested in at this point) for $200 more per turntable... Which leads me to believe going with the RP-7000's is a good call...

Reloop RP-8000 MK2 Turntable Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYYzgTRMCc

Quote Originally Posted by Terence D View Post
    It's my understanding the RP-8000 is simply the RP-7000 w/ built in Serato support (not interested in at this point) and MIDI pads (not interested in at this point) for $200 more per turntable... Which leads me to believe going with the RP-7000's is a good call...
    Sounds good to me.

I'd go with the RP7000 MK2 if possible for the extra isolation since you'll be using real vinyl instead of just time code vinyl.

https://youtu.be/OJBfxoLWl8Q?t=180
    Last edited by Windows 95; 12-15-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Thumbs up

Sounds good to me.

I'd go with the RP7000 MK2 if possible for the extra isolation since you'll be using real vinyl instead of just time code vinyl.

https://youtu.be/OJBfxoLWl8Q?t=180