Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dude book 3 gigs with........

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Looks like some amateur gear that you would use at a friend's barbecue during a camping expedition.
    YEAH??!!!
    So does your setup have cupholder game tho' ?

ITS ALL ABOUT THE CUPHOLDERS.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Snazzy!

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

You're all missing the point man... It's water proof.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    kill it with fire rather than drowning?
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Let's test that bluetooth under water then, party trick.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    YEAH??!!!
    So does your setup have cupholder game tho' ?

ITS ALL ABOUT THE CUPHOLDERS.
    I take one partygoer to bend and stay still.

5 years ago I started off with 1 12" ION, a laptop, and a mic.
    Now I have about 15K in gear. No that's not a lot of money
    to most, but it gets me by. LOL
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

Radio Raheem would have killed for one of those back in the day

Not a Dollar Tree DJ, but also don't have $150k invested in gear. (knock off a zero)
    Knowing what to play, when to play a track is really the key. This Friday will be
    my 3rd wedding reception this month. $1,000, and it's going to be a long day!
    Saturday I have another, but it's for a really good friend. He can pay me in
    Chicago Style Hot Dogs for all I care! LOL
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyj View Post
    just sucks because we keep losing business to those #DollarTreeDJs who don't register as a business, don't pay taxes, don't buy professional gear, show up in tshirt n jeans to a wedding, etc. etc. so they can almost afford to do it for 330, meanwhile, we over here being all legit & professional and losing merely based on price even with educating the bride. does get frustrating.
    Your post contains numerous assumptions that are likely false.

First, you are most likely not losing business from #DollarTreeDJs, just as Ferrari is not losing business from Kia. Your assumption is that if the #DollarTreeDJ did not exist, the client would pay more to hire you. That is rarely the case.

Second, you are assuming that just because someone has a different business model than you, they are somehow not legit. In nearly all jurisdictions in America, you don’t need a business license to run a sole proprietorship. Everybody has to pay taxes if they make over a certain amount, but that is done in April of each year when you file your personal tax return. While “professional gear” is generally a good investment for a commercial DJ, there is nothing wrong with using “non-professional gear” so long as it gets the job done. And most #DollarTreeDJs who do weddings wear at least slacks, a dress shirt, and tie; but even if they don’t, that is part of the reason why they are less expensive than you.

Third, you are assuming that you cannot be profitable doing gigs for $330 and doing everything listed above (i.e. having a business license, using pro gear, etc). If you truly believe that, you are probably losing a bunch of profit by ignoring most of your potential customers. I know a multi-unit operator who has revenue in excess of $300k, while booking 50-100 gigs each year for $250. While his profit margin is slim on those gigs, they are profitable; they allow him to keep his DJs working and to better their skills; and they occasionally lead to referrals for hiring paying gigs. I also know several single unit operators who charge $400 or less per gig and earn a net profit of $40 per hour or more. Most of them have day jobs that pay $25-30 per hour. All of them use professional gear, wear tuxedos to weddings, get their music from DJ record pools, and pay taxes.

Lastly, I will leave you with this. I began mobile DJing in 1998, shortly after graduating high school. I did the opposite of most new DJs, and spent a lot of money on gear before doing my first gig, all financed through a Guitar Center credit card. Thus, from day one, I have always had name brand professional gear. What I have noticed over the last 20 years is mobile DJs have an unhealthy obsession with judging DJs based on their perceptions about their gear. I have had the privilege of knowing very good DJs who put on flawless and memorable shows using equipment you would like call non-professional. I have also been to several weddings where the DJ had top-of-the-line gear, but sucked at his craft. If you saw me at my first gig, you would not be criticizing my gear, but at the time I was not a very good DJ.