Thread: «One» gener only DJs.. whats the deal?

«One» gener only DJs.. whats the deal?

My residence place wants DJs who can read the crowd and play different stuff as long as its not cheesey... I play soul, funk, disco, re edits, psychadelic rock, breakes, house, tech, and so on. Now im trying to find other DJs for the gig, but I only find DJs who play one gener, and those who play different geners play pop and wedding music...

how come so many DJs have such a limited love for music?
    I can understand why producers DJ one gener of Music. Obvisouley they spend a bulk of their time produceing and they get gig offers bassed on the gener they produce. But why so many pure DJs are locking them selfs to one gener I dont understand.....?
    Last edited by DjDeepKanga; 08-30-2019 at 10:39 AM.

My take on it... There are two different electronic music worlds out there.. there's the CLUB world.. which is what your place is.. where you are trying to please a mixed crowd who came out for "clubbing".. not to say they don't love the music, but they are not there for specific music. Then there is the electronic scenes where you have got genre specific parties and nights. And that is where you get strong communities of people coming out for certain types of music.. they are really INTO certain genres. For example you'll have the same people coming out.. for example, for techno, they know the DJ's, they know the styles, they know the people who are going to the same party they are going to. They don't go to a club hoping there'll be some techno.. no sir. That doesn't mean they don't like other music, they may like other music and go to other events and go to mixed-genre clubs. But when they go to a techno party, they have some expectations! The DJs that play in those scenes are also part of those scenes, they are not just playing a genre one night, they're into it. And they are in among many DJs playing that genre in that scene, so they have to work hard to develop a style and raise that to a level that cuts it at parties where people are intensely into that. They have to be a lot more subtle in their choices. It's a different mindset entirely.

And yea, of course if you are serious about DJing and work at it you can play multiple genres and be at that level in multiple genres, but playing mixed genres is a different kind of skill and if that's not your scene and you don't do it all the time, if you aren't out there at those events getting a feel for what people are into or if you yourself are not that into the general club scene, then it's awfully hard to maintain a music collection and maintain your skills for lots of genres...

That's my one mans take on it.

For me personally, I am primarily a psytrance DJ and I have been doing that for years. And I play a nice chillout set. I do love TONS of other electronic music, I enjoy techno, DNB, some breaks, certain types of house, even some bass music I really enjoy.. it depends. And tons of non electronic music as well. But when it comes to DJing.. well for example I'd love to DJ techno and I'm actually working on that a little bit.. I have dabbled in house. But basically it takes TIME (and MONEY) to get good at a genre and if I were to spend a lot of time on these other genres I wouldn't have enough time to be as good as I want in the one genre I am actually still regularly playing....
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 08-30-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Thank you for a very informative replay :-) I think youre spot on.

I just started to dabble in the gener specific club scene taking trips to Berlin, Amsterdam, and checking out the local techno scene here in Oslo. I also follow the international scene closely on YouTube. Ive been collecting deep house and tech house for 10 years now (both digital and vinyl) so it was about time I started to be a part of that community :-)

Ive observed a tendency for clubs to book producers who DJ, and not DJs who DJ. The best events Ive been to is the events that book pure DJs who spend 99% of their time refining their music libary and use their down time bedroom Djing rather than producing music, with a few exceptions (Danny Daze was AWSOME!).

I from now on try to avoid the 1-2 hr producer sets and find out who the pure underground DJs are out there.

Im fairly new to the underground scene so the experiences I base these sentiments isnt that many.
    Any thoughts?

I find younger DJs tend to be 'One genre' types. The older they get the more genres they get into. There are some exceptions, they tend to be the 'deeper' guys who only mine one genre until they die...

Quote Originally Posted by D'jramatist View Post
    There are some exceptions, they tend to be the 'deeper' guys who only mine one genre until they die...