Thread: Aloha 🤙🏽

Aloha 🤙🏽

I’m here to learn how to DJ and to be a DJ. Also, for my love for music.

I’ve tried to learn about 8/9 years ago. I had a Korg KM-402 mixer and one Denon DN-S3700 CDJ. It was a “wtf” set up because there’s no way I could learn with 1 CDJ. Being a Middle Student, I had no money whatsoever. The system was sitting in my room so I decided to sell it.

Here I am today, trying to jump back in. Really eager to learn how to scratch, mix, juggle, etc. Because I finally work now, I’m looking to purchase legit vinyl turntable instead of CDJ. I have my eyes set on the Pioneer DJM-S9 paired with the PLX-1000, Technics 1200 MK7, or Reloop. Rane also has the special going on so it’s hard to take my eyes away from the 12/72. I recently came across a deal that has the GOLD S9 and PLX-1000 for one hell of a deal. (Leaning towards that).

I’m here to learn, network, and to ask for opinions.

Could anyone point me to the right direction please. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to DJF!
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by rbmj View Post
    Because I finally work now, I’m looking to purchase legit vinyl turntable instead of CDJ.
    I know it's easier to scratch with vinyl, but if you don't already have vinyl records I wouldn't get record players.

Myself personally I'd get one of the Pioneer controllers instead.

Pioneer DDJ-RZX about $2,900
    Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 about $2,000
    Pioneer XDJ-RX2 about $1,700
    Pioneer DDJ-1000 about $1,200

Review: Pioneer DJ DDJ-RZX Controller
    11:59
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    I know it's easier to scratch with vinyl, but if you don't already have vinyl records I wouldn't get record players.

Myself personally I'd get one of the Pioneer controllers instead.

Pioneer DDJ-RZX about $2,900
    Pioneer DDJ-SZ2 about $2,000
    Pioneer XDJ-RX2 about $1,700
    Pioneer DDJ-1000 about $1,200

Review: Pioneer DJ DDJ-RZX Controller
    11:59
    Thanks for your response Windows. If you recommend controllers, don’t you think I should go with Rane 12 and Rane 72?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rbmj View Post
    Thanks for your response Windows. If you recommend controllers, don’t you think I should go with Rane 12 and Rane 72?
    A modular controller system is also fine.
    It's not really about how many physical pieces there in your controller. It's the fact that you are buying music files instead of vinyl records or CDs.

You can add a DVS to turn a record player system or a CD system into a digital file controller system. But if you are starting off you might as well just skip the CD players or the record players.
    The only exception in my opinion being is if your goal is to compete in turntablism competitions.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 08-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I originally learnt on vinyl years ago because the djs I looked up to had them. This was just before Serato and Traktor came out so I learnt without software and on real vinyls. I'm so glad I learnt that way. It forced me to properly understand the art of beat matching and gave me a solid foundation.

My personal advice would be go for the Technics set-up if that's what you'd like to learn. Try learning with real vinyl too at first. I've met people who started on Serato and can't beatmatch by ear because they use the bpm guides and visuals to do it.

However, I'm currently in Canada on a career break and couldn't afford a full set up so went and got the Roland DJ 202. It's not too expensive and it's an all in one mixer. Once you got the Technics down maybe considering getting one of these so you can learn CDJ technology too. This means if you start playing out in places you are ready for anything.