Thread: Not Another Music Source Thread!

Not Another Music Source Thread!

Hey Folks,

Hope no-one minds another music source thread... but rather than recommendations of where to look for music... i'm interested in opinions of places that i've found. If it matters, this is for a UK based user.

I initially started with trails of BeatportLink and SoundcloudGo+, but found rekordbox unable to record mixes using music from streamed sources, and would rather build up a library of owned music anyway. (also thinking about possible problems with relying on streamed sources if I ever perform away from home.)

I'm half way through a month free trial of BPM Supreme, and have so far found it relatively easy to use and find music, although it seems more geared towards house/edm (dancey stuff), and not much current chart stuff.

Looking for more, i've taken a paid subscription to Promo Only UK. My initial thoughts are that the download system is extremely primitive. Searching for new or different music is easy if the track name is known, but other than one long list of music, there doesn't seem to be a way of narrowing down the search to specific genres, bpms, or eras.

I'm on the cusp of taking a subscription to Digital Music Pool, which like Promo Only is to be a fully paid month. I'm unable to find any idea of what music is available, or the download structure etc... I'm not sure if it'll be a duplication of BPM Supreme?

Does anyone have any helpful input. Opinions on the above services, or recommendations of the best places to find what i'm looking for? Musically, I prefer House, (inc deep and tech), trance, what used to be reffered to as dance and current chart. I'm really not into R&B.

Many thanks folks

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TooOCD View Post
    if I ever perform away from home.)

I'm half way through a month free trial of BPM Supreme, and have so far found it relatively easy to use and find music, although it seems more geared towards house/edm (dancey stuff), and not much current chart stuff.

Looking for more, i've taken a paid subscription to Promo Only UK.
    Digital Music Pool, which like Promo Only is to be a fully paid month.
    For record pools don't you have to be a working DJ?

Otherwise why bother with pools..... - what you are doing is the equivalent going up to the artists and pickpocketing their music, and roping in the record pool companies into your scam.

I guess you could be the biggest DJ in cyberspace so I dunno, perhaps its legit.
    Last edited by pete; 08-13-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I suppose the IF should be replaced by WHEN, as I do intend to take this mobile.

Is it not a little catch22 though... Before I can offer services to the public, I need a collection of music... And I'd rather do it legally, rather than use software that rips music from spotify etc. I was under the impression that paying a subscription to a music pool WAS supporting the artist? Note my original question is for opinions on which source will best service my tastes, and not which ones can I continually use for free... I'm more than happy to pay, but would rather not pay for multiple that are more or less carbon copies of each other.

Yeah ... its a real barrier to entry having to buy music to DJ...
    20 years ago you'd be spending your days travelling miles to record shops, and just to get one classic track would be over 20 quid for a second hand scratched vinyl record.

For my part, I ended up working for a music distributor 3 years for a pittance, but I was able to get all the records I ever needed.
    That was back in the early 2000s.
    During that time, I saw the industry get destroyed by downloads. Even before then most of the artists (yes even the big famous ones) hardly earned enough from music to call a reasonable salary.
    It makes me sad that so many Djs sign up for online "record pools". Back in the day getting into a record pool was difficult - cos they involved real records and you had to fill in loads of reaction sheets for the labels on their tracks.
    These online ones basically look to me like scams for taking advantage of people like yourself who don't want to steal/download and think they are helping the artists by paying a record pool. I don't think the artists see anything but pennies from this, if that.

Anyway, enough ranting....to return to your question...
    Have you thought about contacting the labels or artists you like directly? If you say to them that you are an upcoming DJ who loves their music and would be happy to provide input on their tracks:
    1. They'd probably send you the links to buy the tracks in the way that best benefits the artists.
    2. They may even give you some freebies.

Apart from that it all boils down to what we used to call "digging". You have to invest time yourself in finding the sources of music that other DJs just don't have. Put in the hours to be original.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix