Thread: Back In the Saddle

Back In the Saddle

I used to go by the name of DJ Daddy in the Kansas City area. It’s been over ten years since I unplugged and powered down – sold all of my equipment (14” trailer, intelligent lights, Yorkville 2X18 powered subs, dual 12 Yorkvilles, AAL dual 12” folded horn with 14 1” Motorolas [from Tom Hofman I believe] and a bunch of other stuff). I did wedding receptions, high school and teen dances (in high school gyms, etc) along with corporate functions/parties, reunions, etc. I quit because it was getting difficult doing a 4 hour setup (for weddings or teen dances) alone – getting old sucks, believe me; knees aren’t supposed to pop that loud...

I will be 70 next year and still have the urge to be out there. I think I will be moving to a retirement home and starting to DJ for such places – hey, it’ll be music from my era (and good stuff since then). I’ll charge a fair fee and there are plenty in the area to create a circuit. Such homes are always looking for something to offer as entertainment and it wouldn’t be long sessions.

So I’m going to study what the latest setups are – simple software/controller/powered speakers; no lights (by the time it gets dark, the crowd is probably in bed). I just have to remember to put a “not responsible for broken hips” clause in my contract…

Glad to be aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by RonK View Post
    I used to go by the name of DJ Daddy in the Kansas City area. )....

... I will be 70 next year and still have the urge to be out there. I think I will be

... So I’m going to study what the latest setups are – simple software/controller/powered speakers; no lights (by the time it gets dark, the crowd is probably in bed). I just have to remember to put a “not responsible for broken hips” clause in my contract.
    So now you can go by DJ GRANDdaddy.😄

Are you still in KC??? I’m not too far away... Oklahoma City. Also in the same age bracket.

What are you spinning??? Vinyl, CD’s, MP3’s? How are your computer skills? How simple is simple? Do you want premium sound? How much are you willing to spend? Do you want all brand new or would you buy good used gear?

You can get pretty basic with a mixer or controller, laptop computer, wired microphone, and powered speakers. I could put a pretty good cheap system (all new) together for $2000, but a better system might be had for $3500 and up. Just depends.

Welcome! There are a few of us here that are in our 60's so we understand where your're coming from. In the past, I have had the opportunity to talk to "retirement homes" & the amount they are willing to pay is almost non-existent. Normally, they want free or close to it for any kind of entertainment/activities etc. "We just dont have the money to put into these things" ...... LOL. Yeah right. The prices they charge.......... well, never mind.

I applaud you for wanting to do this for the older people & give them something they would not normally get. I hope you can work out something with them... especially something where the pay will work for you for financial gain. I hope when I am old(er), someone will be able to come play some music for me to remember the old days during my youth & the good times I had.

Good luck my friend.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

DJ Bobcat,

You're right - DJ Grandaddy might work.
    Still in KC - will probably go the light route - MP3s even though I still have some 1200 CD stored in a closet. Computers - I started computer classes in 1970 and started with personal ones with IIE and the original PC - when I think about how excited I was with them "fast" computers. Haven't decide on the budget but it will probably be $1K+. But what ever quality costs is what it will be; learned that years ago. On the other hand, I don't need concert quality stuff anymore.

Dix,
    Considering I will probably do the $100 for 2 hours as "intro" and if I see residents really moving around, I will at least double that. Fortunately I know one of the board members of several homes in the KC area, I am going to start with her with my offer. In any case, the market will be explored before gear is acquired.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by RonK View Post
    I started computer classes in 1970 and started with personal ones with IIE and the original PC - when I think about how excited I was with them "fast" computers.
    I'm a lot younger than you and even I started off with using a room sized Univac computer and punch cards at work. (US Air Force)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.