Thread: Bass and Thin Walls - Speaker Recommendations

Question Bass and Thin Walls - Speaker Recommendations

I'm planing on moving from a house on a half acre lot in a small town into an apartment for seniors in in a city.

Currently I use 2.1 computer speakers and full size PA speakers (JBL MP215). Which I won't be able use in an apartment since bass passes through walls (and floors) so easily.

So what frequency specs should I look for speakers without enough bass to disturb my neighbors?
    50Hz, 100HZ, 250HZ?

I'm thinking maybe a pair of Yamaha HS5, HS7, or HS8.
    https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proa...l#product-tabs

I didn't see a frequency chart listed.

Or a pair of JBL 305P MKII, JBL 306P MKII, or JBL 308P MKII.
    https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/...urrent#start=1

https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/...urrent#start=1

https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/...GLOBAL-Current

Again I didn't see a frequency chart listed.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I have a pair of JBL LSR305’s I used for a while. They’re actually more than I need. I don’t play music at home very loudly, so I don’t need more than a couple of good bookshelf speakers in my office, which is what I’m using now.

In an apartment, the LSR305’s would work fine; not too much bass, but good clear sound. Plus, you can always use a good pair of headphones if you want to blast the music away.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I have a pair of JBL LSR305’s I used for a while. They’re actually more than I need. I don’t play music at home very loudly, so I don’t need more than a couple of good bookshelf speakers in my office, which is what I’m using now.

In an apartment, the LSR305’s would work fine; not too much bass, but good clear sound. Plus, you can always use a good pair of headphones if you want to blast the music away.
    I think the JBL 305P MKII is almost the same thing, mostly just a new name.
    https://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLLSR305

When I was bedridden I wore headphones a lot. The downside was I usually didn't notice when a nurse came in the room. So I'd have to wear them when my wife was home.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 07-31-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    When I was bedridden I wore headphones a lot. The downside was I usually didn't notice when a nurse came in the room. So I'd have to wear them when my wife was home.
    I’ve had others tell me they can’t wear headphones because they like to share their listening experience with someone else, and the like being able to talk to that person too. So I tell ‘em to get something like this...

... Put a Y splitter into the headphone jack, plug in your headphones, and plug in a microphone, and you’re good to share, without being a noisy neighbor.😊

I have Beats Pro (Infinite Black) if I want to share music, somebody can plug their headphones into my headphones. (There's an 1/8th inch jack on both ear cups.)

0:14

The bigger (biggest?) problem is not hearing the doorbell or the phone since they aren't open-back.

[QUOTE=Windows 95;515060

The bigger (biggest?) problem is not hearing the doorbell or the phone since they aren't open-back.[/QUOTE]

That’s why I suggested a mixer with a mic input. 😊

I'd say get the hifiman he4xx headphones on massdrop, or Alessandro MS1i.
    For the price and sound you probably won't find better, and you can hear your surroundings.

As for speakers, just turn it down and mess with the EQ till your neighbors are happy.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'd say get the hifiman he4xx headphones on massdrop, or Alessandro MS1i.
    I would probably go for a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 or Sennheiser HD 800 since I know so many people that have them.

I like the sound of the 800 more than the 650 but I'm not sure they are worth paying almost a thousand dollars more for them. (The 800 is also more comfortable than the 650.)

HD 650 is about $320
    HD 800 is about $1,300

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    I'm planing on moving from a house on a half acre lot in a small town into an apartment for seniors in in a city.
    My wife and I looked at the two bedroom apartment yesterday. I liked that I didn't need to waste any living space with exercise equipment since there's a gym on the ground floor. But she didn't like that there weren't any washer & dryer hook-ups in the apartment.

The laundry room is on the first floor and she didn't want to take the clothes on the elevator down to the laundry room whenever she needed to do the wash. So we (she ) decided to wait and try to find a house or duplex to rent.

So for now my current speakers are fine.