Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is everyone waiting for? Music? Gear? What?

Quote Originally Posted by DjDeepKanga View Post
    Vinyl a con? Why? Using a high end analog djmixer paired with a high powered good quality sound system the vinyl dominats .wav and .flac IMO. I own many duplicates on vinyl and .wav
    U dont hear the difference?
    I could when CDs first came out. (The bass didn't sound as full to me.) But by 1990 they improved the CD players or recordings or CDs to where you couldn't hear the difference any more.

Plus so many people play vinyl records with dust and static that people think pops and crackling are normal when listening to records.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Music is always the required purchase.....for me gear upgrade is over time pushed out future state.
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear

Vinyl a con? Why? Using a high end analog djmixer paired with a high powered good quality sound system the vinyl dominats .wav and .flac IMO. I own many duplicates on vinyl and .wav
    U dont hear the difference?
    When done right both sound amazing but!

It doesn't dominate. The resurgence is all HYPE, people are over paying for nostalgia and hipster marketing, fuelled by themselves. The con is the myth it's superior to justify high prices on niche releases. To support my stance I'll start with... Go read up on the RIAA curve. It's actually impossible to print true deep subbass on a vinyl, it jumps the needle, it's even harder towards the inner part of the groove. Vinyl has serious limitations and is far from the perfect medium those believe it to be. It's annoying when the same info has to be repeated. What those who prefer it, prefer is the result of it's imperfections, that's not my opinion, it's science. It's microscopic tiny bumps (not really, more like tiny shifts in direction) on a surface and requires friction to be reproduced. How accurate do you think that can be (to be fair, it's amazing how accurate it actually is but the inconsistencies are huge). No 2 vinyls are the same, no 2 listens of the same vinyl are the same. On the larger scale though, that doesn't really matter, the room itself does more damage to the recording.

And which is it... "Dominates" or "U can't hear the difference"

That statement is true in reverse.... Wav can be made to representation a vinyl waveform but the vinyl can't, even on the most expensive set ups. The limitations of digital bit dept and sample rates far exceed the accuracy of the cutting head.

?
    If you want to learn more, watch these videos.

Digital Explained
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

The inaccuracy of vinyl
    This can be described as "extra life" which vinyl lovers miss when hearing Digital but it's what audiophiles work so hard to reduce. It's not in the original recording. The aim is to have the playback medium be as true to the original as possible. These inaccuracies could easily be emulated on any playback device, including various amounts of random pops and clicks over a layer of static, which would be silly, just buy the vinyl, just don't get ripped off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxiLeQmb5k

Why Vinyl Might Sound Better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghv3NIjmbj8

Ever noticed how pops and clicks in digital sounds annoying... but not on vinyl, this proves nostalgia is at play, it's an accepted imperfection... as windows 95 points too. Peoples senses ignore them or prefer them as part of the experience but only if a vinyl is spinning.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 09-05-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Peoples senses ignore them or prefer them as part of the experience but only if a vinyl is spinning.
    Even some people born in the 2000s prefer the nostalgic experience the same way some of us enjoy the nostalgia of silent movies. (Although with silent movies they were meant to be accompanied with a live piano or a live orchestra, not prerecorded music.)

There's something about physically grabbing a record, taking it out of the sleeve, putting it on the record player, and returning to flip it over or put a different record on. Over clicking on what songs you want or clicking on a playlist and going from room to room without having to come back to the music except to turn it off.

Digital media for a lot of people is too similar to listening to a radio.

What I want to buy:
    Some exotic analog rotary mixer.
    Some modern all-in-one thingy to give to my daughter to learn on.
    Another 1200.
    Home made french polished soundsystem the size of a medium size house.
    Sonic tank, preferably capable of brown note level destruction.

What I need to buy:
    Nothing. I hardly use my existing equipment enough to merit it.

Sad really cos I lusted after good equipment for years when I was young and broke. Now I'm in a place where I could get anything I need ... but I don't need it.
    I'd feel like a grandpa with a porsche.

As for vinyl/digital. I have a large record collection and still buy records when I see 'em. Don't for a minute think they sound "better" than (high bit-rate) digital. Besides mastering/production means more to me than medium.
    Last edited by pete; 09-06-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Digital media for a lot of people is too similar to listening to a radio.
    In the "post your music video of the day" thread I post a video describing the music video's background. It mentioned that CD sales are still strong in Japan.

JAPAN: WHY MUSIC CD SALES ARE STILL STRONG
    2:41

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    There's something about...
    I know, I believe he mentions that in the 3rd video, long time since I watched it.

For me I have primarily use controllers DDJ SZ due the to the ease of setup I still have my CDJ 2000 Nexus for personal use. So I look for music and speaker upgrades periodically when new items come out.
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear

I need to trade a Yamaha DDR112 for a DSR115.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk