Thread: Scrap off the dust... looking to think about starting again...

Scrap off the dust... looking to think about starting again...

Hello fellow music junkies!

I used to frequent these forums many many (many) moons ago but sort of fell away from doing anythign roughly like DJing (not that I did much anyway!)

Anyhoo... just wondering what, in 2019, is the best option for me with regards to my set up of CDJ-500(small) DJM-400 and a TON of CDs... I was looking at serato all those moons ago and thinking about moving all my CDs to a few data banks etc. Never got around to it though.

Would prefer to not buy new decks etc. (might look for some old CDJ-1000 MKIIIs or 800s given they're probably not TOO expensive these days).

This is mainly for me messing around at home... maybe the odd party...

Cheers everyone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ap9 View Post
    Hello fellow music junkies!

I used to frequent these forums many many (many) moons ago but sort of fell away from doing anythign roughly like DJing (not that I did much anyway!)

Anyhoo... just wondering what, in 2019, is the best option for me with regards to my set up of CDJ-500(small) DJM-400 and a TON of CDs... I was looking at serato all those moons ago and thinking about moving all my CDs to a few data banks etc. Never got around to it though.

Would prefer to not buy new decks etc. (might look for some old CDJ-1000 MKIIIs or 800s given they're probably not TOO expensive these days).

This is mainly for me messing around at home... maybe the odd party...

Cheers everyone!!!!
    A good way to get with the times is to pick up some kind of controller, connect it to Rekordbox and start buying some new music.

Quote Originally Posted by steveryan View Post
    A good way to get with the times is to pick up some kind of controller, connect it to Rekordbox and start buying some new music.
    Good suggestion. Since the OP does not seem to have his music in a format that he can play from a computer yet, ripping his CD’s might be a good first step... opens up a world of opportunities.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drifting back to this... so on the basis that I may not want to rip a few thousand CDs onto what would have to be a new laptop, is the controller still the way to go? Caught in two (or more) minds on a couple of second hand MkIIIs (and hope they work) vs doing something slightly more and risking the wrath of the other half!

Appreciate this might incur the wrath, but if you're looking at ever getting any new music in addition to your old collection, then a laptop and controller is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkershaw View Post
    Appreciate this might incur the wrath, but if you're looking at ever getting any new music in addition to your old collection, then a laptop and controller is your answer.
    lol, I definitely take your point there. given that I'd love to keep the ability to use my CDs (rather than ripping them) any thoughts on the CDJ 800 vs 1000 MK III vs CDJ850?

Quote Originally Posted by ap9 View Post
    lol, I definitely take your point there. given that I'd love to keep the ability to use my CDs (rather than ripping them) any thoughts on the CDJ 800 vs 1000 MK III vs CDJ850?
    your big thing is going to be budget here, and just how serious you are about blowing the dust off and getting back into it. I'm pretty much digital now, but looking at the three options (and there will be people better placed than me to comment), I quite like the 850.