Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding Tabletop Space To My Rack System

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    It’s really hot and humid outside today, so the paint is NOT drying very quickly.
    Good thing you don't live in Florida. It'd probably take two weeks for it to dry.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Here’s what I’ve got so far...

... Still not quite good enough yet. One side looks better than the other. It’s a little too streaky, so I’ll give it another light sanding and apply another coat of the stain. I’m having some regrets about the product I chose (ebony stain and poly all in one). I had never used this product before, and it might not have been so smart to use for the first time on this tabletop. No matter, I’m gonna make it work.😊

Adding Tabletop Space To My Rack System

Today I turned my attention to the attachment hardware. I already bought some hinges, anchors, and tightening knobs...

... but I was not thrilled with the prospect of drilling into the side of my rack to mount the anchors. The hinges would have been mounted on the underside of the tabletop and folded up fairly flatly when not attached to the rack.

But I decided the tabletop fits on the rack so tightly, it really only needed a way to keep one side down when force (weight) is applied to the opposite side. So I thought about fabricating a bracket that would be screwed to the tabletop, and attach to an existing screw hole in the topside rack rails. It would have required different hand knobs, but I know where to get some.

However, another DJ (on a different forum) suggested a bungee strap solution, and it was a brilliant idea. Sometimes I over complicate stuff. I already had everything I needed for a bungee cord attachment...

... Just added a couple of screw eyes and some clips, and VOILA!!!😄 Took all of 10 minutes and it does the job great. I dragged the rack around by the edge of the tabletop in the garage and the tabletop didn’t budge. Pressed down on each side of the tabletop, and the other side only lifted slightly, but not enough to slide off, and by being attached to the screw eye, it can’t really slide much anyway.

I can always go back and get the knobs and make some brackets, but I think I stick with this solution for now.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 08-11-2019 at 03:17 PM.

DONE!!!... Got the tabletop re-sanded and applied one last coat of stain...

It looks REALLY good now IMO... no more streaks and both sides match. I’m happy with it.😊

I’m gonna let it sit overnight to get completely dry, then I’ll bring it in my office and set it up like it would be used at a gig. More pics then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had to see how the new tabletop looked with my Floating Facade...

I really, really needed this tabletop space. I can’t wait to use it. I’ve been using a cardboard box sitting on top of a controller case (sitting on end) to get a platform for practicing with the backup system I got to use with this system (Akai AMX & Alto ZMX52). This is gonna be SO MUCH better!😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 08-11-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Fantastic workmanship, Bobcat! That came out really clean and looks like it fits nice and snug.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DJ Bobcat again.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    Fantastic workmanship, Bobcat! That came out really clean and looks like it fits nice and snug.

Rep!
    Thanks Mark. It DOES fit snugly. The main reason I think was my decision to wrap the side pieces slightly around to the front, right up to the fold-down keyboard shelf opening...

If you notice in my original concept drawing, I was not planning to do that...

... but when I was making the paper template, I decided to make that change, and it worked out better than I had hoped.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 08-12-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who see ball-gags.

Anyways, nice work! And inventive use of the ball-gags.

bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who see ball-gags.

Anyways, nice work! And inventive use of the ball-gags.

LOL... Are you talkin’ ‘bout my orange balls??? Uh... my rack’s orange balls???😄 How many DJ’s have a rack with orange balls??? I dunno???😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t do very much project work today. Took a nice long nap this afternoon, which RARELY happens, but today was the hottest day of the year, so not a good day to work out in the garage. Not only that, my daughter borrowed the fan I use in the garage, so no fan just makes it feel hotter!

Nevertheless, I pulled some wood scraps out of my scrap bin and fashioned a cup/bottle holder to sit on my tabletop...

My table sits on a 7 degree slope, so the holder had to be cut on similar angle. Turn it around backward and this happens...

It needs to be stained and some rubber feet attached to the bottom...

... and it will be ready to use.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 08-13-2019 at 06:23 AM.