Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding Tabletop Space To My Rack System

Adding Tabletop Space To My Rack System

I have two rack systems. One (I refer to as my Small System) is a 2x8U molded plastic rack that sits on a table top. The second is a two piece molded plastic rack with 4x10U top section, and a rolling base section that’s 6U (I call my Large System).

Functionally, there’s not too much difference, except for the number of microphones and number of supported PA speakers, plus the Small System has no built-in light control capability. The Small System is lighter, so it’s the system I use for venues where access is difficult.

Here’s my problem... My Large System has no tabletop space; nowhere to put notes or set a drink...

... I’ve used a stool or folding table as needed, but don’t like either of those options. They look tacky, because the floating facade I attach to hide the wires and such is not wide enough to hide much besides the rack...

So my plan is to add a tabletop. I have drawn up a design and just need to go buy the materials...

... It will be made of solid wood, and though it’s gray in the diagram, I’m actually planning to stain it ebony, and coat it with some polyurethane. It will have 4 knobs, which will tighten to the top of the molded plastic rack for stability. I’ll provide more details and post pics of my progress.

Today I finally made some progress on this project. I had already made a template out of paper and transferred it to my plywood using a piece of carbon paper...

Today I cut the tabletop out, and it fits on the top of the rack perfectly...

... I messed up a couple of cuts (a little crooked), but I fixed them pretty easily. Then I cut the rear/back piece and prepared to attach it to the tabletop using a lap joint...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got everything glued and screwed...

... and tried my backup system on for size...

It fits!!!😊 Next I need to stain and polyurethane it. I also have some attachment hardware to put on it...

Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 08-10-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Very unique idea.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Very unique idea.
    Thanks.😊 My original thought was to add fold-down shelves on each side, so I got some brackets kinda like these...

... but then realized the shelves would have blocked the handles of my rack, and those handles are the only good way to lift it. Then I thought about using the same concept and attaching the shelves to the facade, but that would have prevented the facade from folding correctly (in order to fit it in its carrying bag.

When completed, this new tabletop will fit in the same bag with the facade, and it’s not so heavy that it adds any significant weight.

This thing took A LOT of thinkin’ time. Not so much actual doin’ time.😄 Can’t wait to get the (ebony) stain on it to see what it will look like. I spent a considerable amount of time sanding it down last night. I even got the edges of the plywood pretty smooth. I still think I might fill them and re-sand them, but then they won’t take the stain, so I’ll have to paint them... just adds more complication, work, and time.😊

Very cool, really makes a slick setup!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    set a drink...
    Sounds like a receipe for disaster, I like your risky style!
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Sounds like a receipe for disaster, I like your risky style!
    LOL... Well, fortunately I only drink bottled water at my gigs, and the top is always screwed on when the bottle is not in my hand. Seen too many spills to take the risk.😊

BUT... I had considered cutting out a hole for a cup to sit in, but since I drink bottled water, the bottle would fall completely through any hole big enough for it. What I could do, though, is make a drink holder that attaches to the tabletop and has the base cut on a 7 degree angle (same angle as the slant top of my rack and tabletop) so that the top of the holder sits level. That would be pretty easy. I think I’ll do it.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 08-10-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Might look for an OEM replacement cup holder for a car, van, or SUV that you could put in the hole.

Ford F-150
    https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Aut...dp/B013IAS03W/
    Last edited by Windows 95; 08-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Might look for an OEM replacement cup holder for a car, van, or SUV that you could put in the hole.

Ford F-150
    https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Aut...dp/B013IAS03W/
    Good suggestion... thanks.😊

Got the back of the tabletop painted this afternoon...

It’s really hot and humid outside today, so the paint is NOT drying very quickly. I’m gonna try to get some stain (ebony) on the top today, but not until I can turn the tabletop over without ruining the back side.

I have attachment hardware to paint, so perhaps I can to that while I’m waiting for the paint to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk