Thread: Decisions, Decisions...

Decisions, Decisions...

Pretty sure this gets asked here everyday but since everyone of us has a different needs, I figured I'll ask again. After reading the forums, I've become even more confused.

I do mobile gigs primarily, including weddings (200 people), private parties (50-100), school/church dances (200), occasional karaoke, the occasional corporate night with music, auctions, speakers (200-500), and a few outdoor family carnival type gigs (300-500) .

I'm WAY overdue on upgrading the speakers I use for gigs and I need some opinions. I'm currently using a B52 Matrix system (or two if the crowd is large enough) and I'd like to downsize in weight and size.

I recently heard, and loved the sound from, a pair of EV EKX 15p. I'd prefer to go with EKX 12p with a 15sp sub. Going with that, I'm not really saving much on weight and size but I anticipate the improvement in sound quality would be dramatic. I could add an additional 15p down the road for even more punch.

I have a friend that loves RCF and is recommending a pair their J8 systems. I've heard his at low volume and they sounded amazing.

I have a pair of HK Audio Lucas Nano systems that I use for smaller events and they weigh next to nothing. They don't have the boom that the younger ages want though.

Any opinions on which I should go with are appreciated.

If you want "the Boom" you need big speakers.. there is no way to cheat physics here. Some of the small stick systems do sound very nice but the compact bass modules they come with can only do so much. I own an EV EKX setup... 2 EKX12ps and 2 EKX18sp and that is a potent system.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    If you want "the Boom" you need big speakers.. there is no way to cheat physics here. Some of the small stick systems do sound very nice but the compact bass modules they come with can only do so much. I own an EV EKX setup... 2 EKX12ps and 2 EKX18sp and that is a potent system.
    Thank you for your input. I helped the guitarist load his gear into his SUV and I was pleasantly surprised at how light the 15s were in comparison to my gear.
    How do the 12s sound without the subs?