Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple But Effective System Advice

Simple But Effective System Advice

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    At the moment all I care to use is DJ Pro so I can use Spotify. Want to try and learn as much as I can at home and then start building an actual music library. Thinking of looking to the best bang for the buck controller that will work for what I need right now and once I learn a little I can upgrade to a better controller. It will have to work with my MacBook Air as well.
    Using Spotify is a software issue. DJay Pro is really the only option if that’s your plan, and the WeGO works fine with it. I tried DJay Pro on mine at first, but found it (DJay Pro) to be missing some features that Traktor has that work best for me. But honestly, you can learn to DJ with pretty much any software. You can download Mixxx and run it for free. The main thing is to make your software choice before choosing a long-term. controller.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 07-27-2019 at 09:58 AM.

I am not a DJ but looking to put together a nice simple set up that works well for my purposes which would be for my own family and friend parties. This past weekend we had a surprise 70th birthday party for my mother and everything was going well till about 2 hours prior to the event. The DJ which is a co-worker and friend called and told me who wasn't going to be able to make due to a family emergency. He tried his hardest to find someone else to cover but had no luck. So my last option was to take my own tops and sub and make the best of it. I currently have a pair of 15" Behringers and a newly acquired QSC KSub that I got in a trade. I was not prepared at all, I grabbed my lap top and Behringer 802 mixer and headed over to the venue to set up. I have no music library what so ever other than my Spotify playlist so that was all I had to go with. Overall it went well and everyone had a good time. Had about 100 people there all partying and I wasn't able to celebrate with my family and friends due to trying my best to play some good music. But my mom had a great time and thats what matters most.

I have much respect for all you guys who DJ. I have no skills at all, have absolutely no music smarts at all either. If I hear a song then I will know it but have no idea who the artist is or the name of the song for the most part. I however really do want to learn, just enough to be prepared or to be able to DJ my family and friends events. I do plan on selling my 15" tops and get some quality 10" tops to match with the KSub. May replace the KSub later down the road or add another one if needed. Is it possible to just use Spotify Premium with Virtual DJ or DJ Pro 2 if I have all my playlist downloaded on my laptop?

Can you guys help me put together a simple but effective system for my purposes please. I want something that easy to use. Any advice and info would be much appreciated.
    When you’re ready for tops, consider starting with 12’s vs. 10’s. Since you are just beginning to DJ 12’s will provide enough coverage in the high and low end for small to medium events where a sub may not be needed (depending on the genres played). You can add the Ksub as needed to fill out your sound.

I have a set of EV EllX112P’s listed in the classified section that work well in your situation.

Good luck with your future DJ endeavors.

Que Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment I really don’t have a music library at all so my only real opinion is Spotify and DJay Pro. I’ll most likely try to find a used inexpensive controller for the time being just to learn and get the hang of things. At the same time I’ll begin to start a legit music library and once I feel comfortable enough I’ll choose the software I plan to use for good and upgrade to a more professional controller.

As far as tops I’ve pretty much made up my mind on some Yamaha DXR10’s. Found them on sale for 10% off plus they have a $75 mail in rebate. Brings the price down to about $465 each shipped to my door.

Simple But Effective System Advice

At the moment I really don’t have a music library at all so my only real opinion is Spotify and DJay Pro. I’ll most likely try to find a used inexpensive controller for the time being just to learn and get the hang of things. At the same time I’ll begin to start a legit music library and once I feel comfortable enough I’ll choose the software I plan to use for good and upgrade to a more professional controller.

As far as tops I’ve pretty much made up my mind on some Yamaha DXR10’s. Found them on sale for 10% off plus they have a $75 mail in rebate. Brings the price down to about $465 each shipped to my door.
    Good choice on the Yammy’s. Those will be a good foundation for your PA system for a long time.

As for your library... the BEST way to get a ton of music fast is to join a DJ pool. Another thing I did when I started was to download lists of most requested songs by DJ’s. You can Google it. Then I made sure I acquired every song on those lists I could possibly get, which was most of them. I already had a huge music library (my personal collection), but a good part of my library was listening music; not much dancing music. It has taken me a while to build up my dance collection, but that has been my primary focus for some time now.😊

Thanks. So I’m looking at purchasing DJay Pro 2 for my Mac. Couple of things I’m trying to figure out is about a controller. On algoriddim’s site they have a list of over 50 native support controllers. Does that mean that any controller on that list will work with their software? Was looking at the DDJ SB3 or DDJ 400 just not 100% sure they will work. Also, once I start building my music library will I be able to still use this software with the downloaded music or is it strictly for Spotify and iTunes?

Is internet connection required at all times with the software and Spotify? I know I’ll need it if I’m steaming music but what if I have some playlists downloaded on Spotify for when there is no internet connection, will I be able to still play that music through the software?

Is internet connection required at all times with the software and Spotify? I know I’ll need it if I’m steaming music but what if I have some playlists downloaded on Spotify for when there is no internet connection, will I be able to still play that music through the software?
    I can’t say for sure because I didn’t use Spotify when I tried using DJay Pro, but theoretically you can download tracks and play them off line if you have a Premium subscription. How well the works with DJay Pro, I have no idea.

I like using my own music library, but one thing I do know... DJay Pro has no option to make playlists unless you use something like iTunes or Spotify. I try not to depend on so many pieces to play music... just a personal decision.

How exactly do those DJ Pools work. What happens to all the music you gathered after you cancel your membership? Is the music only available while you’re a paid member?

How exactly do those DJ Pools work. What happens to all the music you gathered after you cancel your membership? Is the music only available while you’re a paid member?
    My pool is all MP3’s with no DRM; unlimited downloads. Usually runs $50 a month, but veterans get a discount and I R 1.😄 When you cancel your membership, you still have the MP3’s you downloaded. Not sure how other pools work. Some are not available outside the USA, so you just need to check.

Thanks. I’m looking at giving BPM Supreme a try. I’m also looking more into the Serato software if I can build up a decent size music library by using a DJ pool.

I pulled the trigger on a Pioneer DDJ 400 with Rekordbox. Little confused on how to hook up my powered speakers to it though. Controller only has RCA jacks and no 1/4” or XLR. Do I use an adapter from RCA to 1/4”?