Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple But Effective System Advice

Hybrid View

Simple But Effective System Advice

I am not a DJ but looking to put together a nice simple set up that works well for my purposes which would be for my own family and friend parties. This past weekend we had a surprise 70th birthday party for my mother and everything was going well till about 2 hours prior to the event. The DJ which is a co-worker and friend called and told me who wasn't going to be able to make due to a family emergency. He tried his hardest to find someone else to cover but had no luck. So my last option was to take my own tops and sub and make the best of it. I currently have a pair of 15" Behringers and a newly acquired QSC KSub that I got in a trade. I was not prepared at all, I grabbed my lap top and Behringer 802 mixer and headed over to the venue to set up. I have no music library what so ever other than my Spotify playlist so that was all I had to go with. Overall it went well and everyone had a good time. Had about 100 people there all partying and I wasn't able to celebrate with my family and friends due to trying my best to play some good music. But my mom had a great time and thats what matters most.

I have much respect for all you guys who DJ. I have no skills at all, have absolutely no music smarts at all either. If I hear a song then I will know it but have no idea who the artist is or the name of the song for the most part. I however really do want to learn, just enough to be prepared or to be able to DJ my family and friends events. I do plan on selling my 15" tops and get some quality 10" tops to match with the KSub. May replace the KSub later down the road or add another one if needed. Is it possible to just use Spotify Premium with Virtual DJ or DJ Pro 2 if I have all my playlist downloaded on my laptop?

Can you guys help me put together a simple but effective system for my purposes please. I want something that easy to use. Any advice and info would be much appreciated.

Would Djay Pro 2 and a Pioneer DDJ-200 work well for my needs?

Quote Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
    ... Is it possible to just use Spotify with Virtual DJ or DJ Pro 2 if I have all my playlist downloaded on my laptop?
    As far as I know, DJay Pro is the only DJ software that will play tracks streamed from Spotify.

Would Djay Pro 2 and a Pioneer DDJ-200 work well for my needs?
    Yes.

Thanks. It looks like DDJ 200 has no audio outputs. Since I know nothing about the world of DJ, how would I connect my 10” tops?

Thanks. It looks like DDJ 200 has no audio outputs. Since I know nothing about the world of DJ, how would I connect my 10” tops?
    Yeah... the DDJ-200 is a pretty basic entry level box. No internal audio card. You use the audio from your computer or phone. The controller comes with a splitter cable that plugs into your phone that allows you to hook up your speakers and headphones, then your phone (or laptop) connects to the DDJ-200 with Bluetooth. Not exactly a professional setup by any means. But the DDJ-200 does come with WeDJ software for free.

You might wanna look at the DDJ-400 or the DDJ-WeGO4. I use a DDJ-WeGO3 with a Surface Pro as a backup unit on one of my rack systems...

... that’s it on the left. It has all the connections to hook up speakers and headphones.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 07-23-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Another option you might consider... Get a small mixer. I just bought an AKAI AMX, which can be used with DJay Pro...

... I’m gonna use mine with Traktor as a backup unit with a different rack system than the one with the WeGO.

I've seen a guy DJing pretty nicely in a bar with just a Pioneer WeGo and DJay Pro on his smartphone. It looked pretty comical with the phone sitting in the tablet slot of the Wego but it worked just fine. A lot more portable than my XDJ's! Lots of cool ways to DJ these days.... The only downside of the Wego is lack of Trim knobs, which I prefer to have. But for your needs you can do without. But if you go on The DJay Pro site they have a nice list of all the controllers that are supporter by their software.

What’s the difference between the WeGO3 and WeGO4? Local music store has both available.

What’s the difference between the WeGO3 and WeGO4? Local music store has both available.
    The main difference between the DDJ-WeGO4 and the DDJ-WeGO3 is the EQ section. Instead of the DDJ-WeGO3’s three EQ bands (low, mid, and hi), the DDJ-WeGO4 has a two-band EQ (low and hi) plus a filter knob. I could have bought the WeGO4, but this is the reason I went with the WeGO3.

Another difference is the DDJ-WeGO4 ships with a Rekordbox DJ licence apart from Virtual DJ LE. The DDJ-WeGO3 only ships with DJay and Virtual DJ LE. No big deal for me because I use mine with Traktor, but if you want to use it with Rekordbox DJ, you’ll have to purchase it separately if you buy the WeGO3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment all I care to use is DJ Pro so I can use Spotify. Want to try and learn as much as I can at home and then start building an actual music library. Thinking of looking to the best bang for the buck controller that will work for what I need right now and once I learn a little I can upgrade to a better controller. It will have to work with my MacBook Air as well.