Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixes with vinyl??

Mixes with vinyl??

I am a technology lover but I also love the old toys that are still in the main events and are part of the setup of many DJs around the world.

Does anyone have any curiosity about this format?....How were your first contacts with the turntables?

Quote Originally Posted by Ednner Soares View Post
    I am a technology lover but I also love the old toys that are still in the main events and are part of the setup of many DJs around the world.

Does anyone have any curiosity about this format?....How were your first contacts with the turntables?

Sup man. I love Vinyl records. There my first choice in choosing music. There is thousands of underground vinyl records that never hit the digital world that are amazing underground tracks. Assuming you do dance music like house and techno i believe that vinyl DJing sets you apart from the regular digital djs because it takes more skills to mix vinyl only. Also the tracks in my opinion are better most of the time than digital. But you will pay double if not triple the price for the music. I love collecting records.

From a venue perspective... Vinyl comes with a huge amount of headaches. For instance, 1 venue I worked has 2 huge steel plinths, 1 for each deck, going through the DJ booth, through the floor, through the cellar to the concrete floor of that. I'd hate to think how much that would cost today... And this was only a side street venue in a major town. Small Bose system. It's hard to print any real deep bass on a vinyl and what they can causes huge feedback issues on any remotely decent system. That's not including the issue of a hyped crowd bouncing the needle.

@class Yes, this is the point .... the technique, look and sound. and the current discs, due to new technologies it is possible to find better sounds than digital ones.
    No problems with phase inversion and bass are well-centered. and mainly, far from the loudness war.

@ mitchiemasha
    There are really factors that can be bothering, but these days it's very easy to solve.
    But the main point of the post is precisely the aesthetics of the vinyl record and the skills of the operator.
    In addition to being a physical product that remains for many years. Its amazing.

but these days it's very easy to solve.
    No sorry. Huge steel girders through the floor of the venue is not an easy task. The wood DJ both in my current venue is bashed constantly. This would be a nightmare to isolate, very expensive, even for the quietest of nights. Other venues we had were upstairs, we had concrete, brick booths, huge foam, thick paving slabs, with some songs cutting the bass was the only solution. AND, these still suffered needle bounce once the room got moving, the full room shakes, kick offs, drops ruined, once everyone stamps that floor at the same time. We did this for over ten years and tried many solutions. Some occasions there'd be 2 people either side of the decks pushing them down, for the kick off, that worked well.

Not bothersome... Complete Nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    suffered needle bounce once the room got moving,
    That reminds me of an argument I had with some stage prop guy who did put everything up on bouncy platforms one day

Joke aside, I had to plug all the gear in to demonstrate, and then he still tried to argue. I had no choice but to tell him it's that, or I pack up and leave.

The platform went down. I couldn't play a record on his stage prop
    Shoot here -----------------> SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post

Well, it really depends on a lot of factors. Obviously each dancefloor has its characteristics. But we never had problems with jumping needle.

But we never had problems with jumping needle.
    This can be because a few factors... either the installation guys have already solved the nightmare potential or the crowd, sound system isn't comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    That reminds me of an argument I had with some stage prop guy who did put everything up on bouncy platforms one day
    We always found the firmer absorption to be the better approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

Joke aside, I had to plug all the gear in to demonstrate, and then he still tried to argue. I had no choice but to tell him it's that, or I pack up and leave.

The platform went down. I couldn't play a record on his stage prop
    I tried those bouncy platforms for a bit years ago, if a venue didn't have concrete slabs or proper isolation; they were a nightmare; almost impossible to do clean cuts and samples, and by the end of the night, one always half-deflated...not a good look by any standards.