Thread: MBP17” Late 2011 16G Ram 750G HD may need a new logic board

MBP17” Late 2011 16G Ram 750G HD may need a new logic board

Hello everyone,

My MBP decided to not boot up yesterday and left me with a grey screen. I tried all the resets and finally just took to my Mac shop. Good things is that my hard drive is safe and other systems check out. They are doing a deep dive open up diag and will let me know exactly what is is by the end of the week.

The technician has hinted that it may be my logic board and has suggested a few places to buy a new replacement logic board. Well they’re around $600.

I discussed how my machine has been a beast and I want to save it. He mentioned that the Late 2011’s are the last of the modular machines that you can actually trick out (16 gig ram, dual drives...)

He mentioned something about I would be limited Sierra as an os or that I may be able to run Mojave.

If I decide to buy another MBP, do you all recall what was the last model year of the “modular” MBP’s. Or should I consider the newer edition MBP’s.

Thanks,
    Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Mac repairman is quite internet-famous.
    He has strong opinions from repairing Macs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

A 2011 machine in 2019?
    I can't think of a reason to recommend using that going forward.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    This Mac repairman is quite internet-famous.
    He has strong opinions from repairing Macs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

A 2011 machine in 2019?
    I can't think of a reason to recommend using that going forward.
    Thanks Pete. I’ll take a look. The main reason why I’m hanging on to the old vs new theory is because of performance stability. My current MBP has performed almost flawlessly with my Serato set ups- Rane 62, SX2, SB2. Now I’ve heard that newer hardware is being developed in step with newer software, but I’m skeptical since the ability to upgrade memory is gone and the use of flash drives in the newer MPB’s seem limited.

I think the logic board repair would probably buy you a used MBP unless you desperately need the features in the old model (Firewire etc) which can be solved with an adapter.

As for software some of the processor models may or may not be compatible with the operating system (you'll get a hardware-not-supported message when trying to install the OS) or the program (old Traktor/Serato/Ableton etc versions and other applications) will not launch.

There could be third-party workarounds for individual "legacy" programs (similar to Windows' 98/XP compatibility mode) but I have no experience with them.

bro. ill try to make this quick. i bought a macbook pro off craigslist. i was in a hurry and it looked flawless and was a great price (should have been a dead giveaway) of 250. upon returning home i realized it didnt have a hard drive and wouldnt turn on. i ended up getting in contact with some guy who fixes computers in the area as a side job. he charged me 150 to change the logic board (the one i had was visually and mechanically fried.) plus 50 bucks for a hard drive with a clean install of mac os. so altogether another 200 for the price of the logic board, hard drive and labor. sounds like they are just trying to get you to buy a new one from them. i later installed an ssd and more ram and it works better than new. dont give up on it just yet. if anything restore it and keep it as a back up for when you want to upgrade.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

Update:

I found a mid 2012 13’ MBP that “didn’t work.” The specs tag said 1TB, 2.6 Guzman i7, and 8GB RAM. The shop was asking $300 for it.

Being that the night before I spent 4 hours trying to fix my 17” I learned how to run the Disk Utility and how to boot in various modes.

I did a few things in the shop and had to use my slow as ever hotspot to install Mojave. Long story short I bought the machine for $150 with a 90 day warranty.

The actual specs of the machine was a 500 GB 2.5 i5 and 4 GB ram. I’ve since upgraded to a 1TB SSD and 16 GB RAM. The good thing is that the machine runs Mohave and will run the next upcoming OS, but will be considered obsolete by Apple in a few years. But I’m okay with that.

Ultimately I’m looking for a 2015 non touchbar and will use the 13” as a backup.

When you google macbookpro grey screen, you get this:

(If it's not responsive because it's stuck on a gray, blue, or white screen, just hold down the Mac's power button for several long seconds until it gives up and shuts off.) Hold down the Command and R keys, and power the Mac back up again. Eventually, you'll end up on a screen headlined OS X Utilities

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    When you google macbookpro grey screen, you get this:
    That’s what I learned as well! It came in handy!

Never run to the engineer with a grey screen and the face of someone who's going to believe any sort of diagnostics, enough said. That's exactly how all non mechanical guys get ripped off by garages

If you mention that you love your beast of a machine on top of that, you're going to get funny quotes with lots of zeros...

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Never run to the engineer with a grey screen and the face of someone who's going to believe any sort of diagnostics, enough said. That's exactly how all non mechanical guys get ripped off by garages

If you mention that you love your beast of a machine on top of that, you're going to get funny quotes with lots of zeros...
    Yup! Agreed!