Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How old is too-old to DJ nightclubs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beep View Post
    A lot of older DJs named here. Pete Tong is coming up to 60. Lots of house DJs in their 50s still play.

However, all the guys I can think of made their names when they were younger, and many have a pretty legendary status.

I don't think there's any reason why older guys can't play in clubs, there's no age limit and no reason why you won't have the skills or music taste when you are older (the opposite in fact).

However, how easy is it to break in to the scene, get gigs, make connections if you are older but don't have a track record? Are there any examples of DJs "breaking through" when they are 40+
    This is the rub-older DJ's need to have the heritage of being there 'back in the day' as a clubbier, at least - I'd say it would be impossible to start post 40+ if you were never part of the scene originally

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beep View Post
    A lot of older DJs named here. Pete Tong is coming up to 60. Lots of house DJs in their 50s still play.

However, all the guys I can think of made their names when they were younger, and many have a pretty legendary status.

I don't think there's any reason why older guys can't play in clubs, there's no age limit and no reason why you won't have the skills or music taste when you are older (the opposite in fact).

However, how easy is it to break in to the scene, get gigs, make connections if you are older but don't have a track record? Are there any examples of DJs "breaking through" when they are 40+
    This is the rub-older DJ's need to have the heritage of being there 'back in the day' as a clubbier, at least - I'd say it would be impossible to start post 40+ if you were never part of the scene originally