Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is too-old to DJ nightclubs ?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Yeah... and, non of the kids in the non Grime areas that are starting to love this wave of UK Rap / Commercial Grime care who they are.
    when Hip-Hop, then House, then Jungle broke over here in the UK, many of us couldn't care less about the Soul Jazz and Funk artists heavily sampled; it's only ever a few freaks from each squad that go and find out about it all, but we do, and continue to.

David Guetta is 52 years old. is he too old to DJ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Troy View Post
    If I was only willing to listen to music *I* like, then I wouldn't be a mobile DJ, I'd just get a Pandora subscription.

I'm 58. I've had enough of nightclubs.

I'm all good with doing my radio show from home.

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    but we do, and continue to.
    Very true, that we do.

A lot of older DJs named here. Pete Tong is coming up to 60. Lots of house DJs in their 50s still play.

However, all the guys I can think of made their names when they were younger, and many have a pretty legendary status.

I don't think there's any reason why older guys can't play in clubs, there's no age limit and no reason why you won't have the skills or music taste when you are older (the opposite in fact).

However, how easy is it to break in to the scene, get gigs, make connections if you are older but don't have a track record? Are there any examples of DJs "breaking through" when they are 40+

This thread makes me not worry so much now that I'm 30. lol
    Hi I used to be called DJZ w/ 1 million+ streams on SC.
    I was shut down for bootleg remixes by Sony/Universal in 2014.
    www.illegalnoize.com

Club DJing is a snake pit.. everyone and their dog wants to be a famous club DJ, why I have no idea since most clubs are quite lame, I've never liked em. If you get out there and make a name for yourself and schmooze it up.. get to know lots of people, maybe get into producing your own events and if you're a good DJ on top of all that, you will make it. But you have to be a little wise about it.. don't think you're gonna walk into a club that caters to early 20's mainstream college crowd at the age of 45 and ask them for a job and get it because it just doesn't work like that. Get out there and party and find the scene you fit into and make yourself known there, and if you're good and people like you then you will get gigs.

The whole music industry is a snake pit. Gotta be careful because most people are also competing against you.
    Hi I used to be called DJZ w/ 1 million+ streams on SC.
    I was shut down for bootleg remixes by Sony/Universal in 2014.
    www.illegalnoize.com

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    and schmooze it up..
    Right there Light O.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo_scotland View Post
    Just something i had a conversation with someone recently.

These are COMMERCIAL NIGHTCLUBS playing chart, edm, RnB etc

In my current residency there are DJs on the rota that are..

37 years old (me) - 35 years old - 47 years old - 39 years old - 48 years old.

The venue has a opinion that age doesnt matter as long as they are good enough.

The clubs target demographic is 18-30 years old.

Whats people opinions on 'being too old to DJ nightclubs' - are these DJ's too old, no matter how good they are ?

Granted visiting them as a crowd member at this age is a different discussion completely.

Thanks
    electronic music isn't getting any younger, so i don't see why the DJs would either. it's as older now than the Beatles were when it started out. its old music.

maybe if you live in a very superficial kind of fashion-conscious scene it might matter.
    but in reality, all that that matters when you are a DJ is that you are doing something that connects with a crowd and brings them into the club, dancing and spending money

theres a DJ at the moment in a club where i work, who plays 80s music (he is from that era) , and it really works, he is in his 50s or 60s, but the crowd can be as young as 18 year olds, but he mixes it well, and they love it.
    they treid a lot of younger DJs, and it just didnt work for that club
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 11-05-2019 at 06:04 AM.