Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too-old to DJ nightclubs ?

How old is too-old to DJ nightclubs ?

Just something i had a conversation with someone recently.

These are COMMERCIAL NIGHTCLUBS playing chart, edm, RnB etc

In my current residency there are DJs on the rota that are..

37 years old (me) - 35 years old - 47 years old - 39 years old - 48 years old.

The venue has a opinion that age doesnt matter as long as they are good enough.

The clubs target demographic is 18-30 years old.

Whats people opinions on 'being too old to DJ nightclubs' - are these DJ's too old, no matter how good they are ?

Granted visiting them as a crowd member at this age is a different discussion completely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mojo_scotland View Post
    The venue has a opinion that age doesnt matter as long as they are good enough.
    This.............
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    This.............
    Good point !

What about from the social aspect / opinion. IE: The DJ's being old enough to be the crowds parents ?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo_scotland View Post
    Good point !

What about from the social aspect / opinion. IE: The DJ's being old enough to be the crowds parents ?
    I can’t really see why a DJ’s age would be important to a club-goer. I guess it would depend on why they go to a club. I think people who go to clubs are going to: socialize, drink, hook-up, dance, listen to music, perhaps be entertained?, etcetera. I think almost none are going with hopes of making it with the DJ.😄 While some patrons interact with the DJ, I suspect that was not their motivation for going to a club.
    Now if the DJ starts acting like a parent, that might not go over very well.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I can’t really see why a DJ’s age would be important to a club-goer... I think almost none are going with hopes of making it with the DJ.��
    I was going to say that the first sign that an older DJ will notice is that the young ladies don't hit on him as much as they used to...
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

How old is too-old to DJ nightclubs ?

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I was going to say that the first sign that an older DJ will notice is that the young ladies don't hit on him as much as they used to...
    LOL... Well I was already old before I started DJing, so I never had that experience. I heard from other DJ’s that it happens, but I don’t get how a DJ manages to play music AND play around???😄 I have enough on my hands handling the music. I’d need at least one more (hand) to... uh... do more.😄

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    ... but I don’t get how a DJ manages to play music AND play around???�� I have enough on my hands handling the music. I’d need at least one more (hand) to... uh... do more.��
    Ahhh... I have a personalized 12-step program that you can use to strengthen your skills in this area...

In all seriousness, I've only had one woman hit on me when I DJed and it was damn hard to concentrate on the show. I must admit, I'd love to hear stories about hiding people under the table during a show.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Armin Van Buuren 42
    David Guetta 51
    Tiesto 50
    Fatboy Slim 56
    Carl Cox 56
    Paul Van Dyk 47
    Louie Vega 54
    Roger Sanchez 52

All these guys are still drawing rather big crowds and raking in a bit of cash when they play, so I think age doesn't matter too much if you're good at what you do.
    I'll soon be 45 and I'm still DJing and have no plans to stop doing so in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    so I think age doesn't matter too much if you're good at what you do.
    But they're brands more than DJ's, yeah DJ's but the name is a brand. Most of the knowns only do 1 hr or 2 and on with other big names, many younger. They have huge production teams that make up that brand. David Guetta isn't aging well. I doubt Carl Cox will ever lose his DJ looks. Those big crowds are 1 offs, yearlies for where ever it happens to be. If you're a local resident, like myself, you get less relevant with each new generation. I'm 40, I'll probably retire in a year or 2. It's bad when people come up greeting you with, "can't believe you're still here, I used to come here when I was 18, 20" They're now married with a full family, some of which will be coming out themselves in a not so distant future. This is not good, lol!

One of my friends is not into his 60s, still going very, very strong in business with a decades long reputation behind him. He had a long run in a famous local club, now he does weddings and such with a ton and a half of gear. The guy packs up local venues everywhere he goes. The only difference is that he has a couple of guys at hand to move the gear around.

Also, this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Derek