Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is called he who only holds the mic and push people to dance without DJing?

How is called he who only holds the mic and push people to dance without DJing?

Hello,
    I have seen in some clubs and parties sometimes a person holding the microphone and just saying things like: put your hands up, ladies and gentleman welcome to blah blah... you guys [] screeeeeeam... and stuff like that.

I know that 99% of DJs in clubs do this themselves. They DJ (or fake to) and then talk and scream such as Steve Aoki for example.

But my question is about people who do NOT actually even touch (or pretend to touch) a DJ controller but just do the talking, while a DJ next to them actually plays the music.

Does this person/figure have a technical name?

I have seen this in a few clubs and a few parties:
    A DJ on one side doing the music, and a guy on the other side, only holding the mic and talking aloud.

Does the talking guy figure have a technical name?

Vocalist maybe?
    But if I google vocalist, I get singer.

I don't know.
    I actually created an account on this forum just to figure this out.

I hope my question is clear.

Thank you
    Joe
    Last edited by Manu; 07-13-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: language

MC (Master of Ceremonies). Or Emcee (usually used in rap where traditionally there was the DJ and MC to make a rap act)
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    MC (Master of Ceremonies). Or Emcee (usually used in rap where traditionally there was the DJ and MC to make a rap act)
    Thanks a lot, I cannot believe there is actually a word for it.

"Hypeman" is another term commonly used.
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Spit View Post
    "Hypeman" is another term commonly used.
    Ok thanks. When I google Hypeman (at the beginning I actually thought you were joking), I find more Hip Hop / Rap stuff. Instead I saw this figure at normal techno/dance/big room parties/events.

Yes, rap grew out of this. Just like house grew out of picking records to get people to dance.
    My production tips thread. On my production philosophy, techniques, and concepts
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...roduction-Tips

I think in drum'n'bass the commonly used term is MC but it's very rare in other genres to have a dedicated person (artist) for that, some bands/live acts may employ such as a vocalist (think of Scooter for example)

In dub/reggae the term used often is selector (selekta, selektor etc are all as valid) who actually picks the records for the DJ to play, makes announcements, does all the toasting and hyping and so on.

Host (as in radio for example) and announcer are more formal terms.

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    I think in drum'n'bass the commonly used term is MC but it's very rare in other genres to have a dedicated person
    D&B developed from (amoung other things) hardcore which developed from house.
    MCs were around in all of these eras, and you can listen to the development by listening to rave recordings from 89-94.
    Although it is more common to always see an MC over jungle these days, back in the day the MC was around at any rave regardless of style of music.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by efinque View Post
    In dub/reggae the term used often is selector (selekta, selektor etc are all as valid) who actually picks the records for the DJ to play, makes announcements, does all the toasting and hyping and so on.
    You got that a bit mixed up. In reggae the selector/selecta is the person choosing and playing the records. The DJ is the person on the mic.

In the old days, this is what an MC does:

Respect the MC, because he gets the crowd pumping.