Thread: RCA to USB cable

RCA to USB cable

Hi - would like to connect the TAPE output of my mixer to my laptop for audio recording purposes. Will a standard RCA-to-USB cable be sufficient - any recommendations on that? It looks like the real cheap ones are intended for camcorders, and the "proper" ones have a analog-to-digital converter built in their somewhere.

Thanks - David

You will need a DA converter built in, and software to record. Or you can use a RCA to jack 3.5 plugged into the laptop input jack.

Thread moved to accessories. Please keep in mind to post in the correct area in the future.

There's no such thing as RCA to USB without an A/D converter, that's what you need.. it won't work without it.

The Behringer UC202 is probably the cheapest option around that is guaranteed to give you a decent result. You can get a Chinese USB audio interface on EBay for as little as $5-10, some of them probably work OK.. but if you want to go that route, just make sure that the unit you buy has a "stereo line" input.. not just a mic input. Else it won't work for you at all.

Then, if you want a more pro sounding recording, there are interfaces such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is popular at around 150 bucks, Roland, Presonus and others are good too.
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 07-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post

Then, if you want a more pro sounding recording, there are interfaces such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is popular at around 150 bucks,
    Great suggestion, I have seen some going second hand for as low as £30/$50

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Great suggestion, I have seen some going second hand for as low as £30/$50
    Thanks both! Is there any benefit to using 3.5mm line in as opposed to a usb?

Not much on a laptop, and depends wildly on what gear is used....

Quote Originally Posted by davidgcooke View Post
    Hi - would like to connect the TAPE output of my mixer to my laptop for audio recording purposes.
    Try it with a stereo RCA to 3.5mm cable and see if it's good enough for you. That'd be way cheaper than buying an interface.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by davidgcooke View Post
    Thanks both! Is there any benefit to using 3.5mm line in as opposed to a usb?
    Most laptops these days don't have a 3.5mm input anymore, only output.
    Or, when they do have an input, it's a mic input, not line.. so you'll get distortion.. and often it's mono, so those aren't right either.

If you happen to have the rare laptop that has the right input, then yea, you can record with it and get probably decent results (depends on the laptop). The main advantage of doing it that way is to save money, and convenience/economy of not having to buy another piece of gear. There's no sound quality advantage though, most external (USB) sound interfaces will sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Most laptops these days don't have a 3.5mm input anymore, only output.
    Or, when they do have an input, it's a mic input, not line.. so you'll get distortion.. and often it's mono, so those aren't right either.

If you happen to have the rare laptop that has the right input, then yea, you can record with it and get probably decent results (depends on the laptop). The main advantage of doing it that way is to save money, and convenience/economy of not having to buy another piece of gear. There's no sound quality advantage though, most external (USB) sound interfaces will sound better.
    Thanks again both - laptop only has MIC in so went with the Behringer UCA202 as suggested.