Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8", 10" or 12" Tops

Google 'Hoffman's Iron Law'.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    I blame Hoffman. How dare he use physics against me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    Makes total sense now. I’ll probably step up to a 18” sub later down the road. Having a hard time trying to determine which tops to replace my Behringer 15’s with. Would the EV ZLX 12P’s be a big improvement over the Behringer’s? I can get a pair of new ones for $630 shipped to my door. Or I can get some Yamaha DXR10’s for $1080 shipped to my door and Yamaha has a mail in rebate for $75 on each speaker. Either pair will be used with a single KSub until later down the road. Out of those two which would be a better sounding system for all types of music? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do my homework before making a purchase.

Of those two I'd get the DXR10. The ZLX12 is a really good speaker for the money and is very popular for that reason.. but it is the budget EV model, the equivalent Yamaha is the DBR series(IIRC). The EV model that more.directly competes with the Yamaha DXR is the EV ETX or EKX.

Anyway if it was my system and I could afford it, I'd def go for the DXR10. And as pointed out already you'll get no real advantage from a 12 when used with a sub, if anything the 10 will sound better especially between these two models.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Of those two I'd get the DXR10. The ZLX12 is a really good speaker for the money and is very popular for that reason.. but it is the budget EV model, the equivalent Yamaha is the DBR series(IIRC). The EV model that more.directly competes with the Yamaha DXR is the EV ETX or EKX.

Anyway if it was my system and I could afford it, I'd def go for the DXR10. And as pointed out already you'll get no real advantage from a 12 when used with a sub, if anything the 10 will sound better especially between these two models.
    Thanks. After the 10% off and the $75 mail in rebate they come out to $465 for each. Seems like a pretty good deal for new DXR10's.

What single sub would you guys recommend to compliment the DXR10's? I played around with the ksub the last couple of days and I've realized that I want to sell it for a better sounding sub. Want something that hits harder and can be felt. You guys have any experience with the EV EKX 18SP?

Yamaha DXS18 is your logical choice.
    But the EV is a good sub too. I've heard the ETX not the EKX but the performance numbers on the EKX are not too much lower...

I’ve read a lot on how well the ETX subs performs but was considering the EKX to save a few bucks. I came across a pair of used ETX 18’s a few hours away from me but the seller only wants to sell them as a pair. He’s not interested in selling just one. He’s looking to get $1800 for the pair with covers.

Just the the new DXR10's in and all I can say is WOW. These little babies sound so damn good. Was surprised how good they worked with the ksub and I only had one top hooked up to it. Plenty loud enough for my family parties. I definitely want to get a single 18" sub to go with them. I was worried about going with 10" tops but you guys were all right, they work so damn good with a sub. Thanks for all the help and advice.