Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8", 10" or 12" Tops

I have the K10's and yes, they sound good alone (they punch above their weight) but sound even better once paired with a KW181 sub or two. The K10 has a better bass response as a standalone speaker compared to the K10.2 but the K10.2 has a better sounding midrange and highs due to the better built-in DSP, I like them both but I still miss my old QSC HPR122i tops. The HPR 122i didn't have the low end of the K10 but it had the smoothest mids & highs compared to both the K series as well as the K.2 series, the drawback though was they were HEAVY for their size and they didn't have a tunable DSP. If you want to save a few bucks then the K10 will be fine, if you want better DSP then the K10.2 is a good option. I use my K10's with the QSC Touchmix 8 & the Touchmix brings even better QSC DSP settings to the table and really take speakers to the next level with the option to aux feed your subs, time align, EQ, crossover, anti-feedback, etc.. Once the K10's KW181's & Touchmix all come together...Magic.
    Last edited by Incognito; 07-08-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

I came across a pair of used K12’s for $800 total. Would you guys recommend getting them or just waiting for some K10’s to come up for sale locally?

$800 is roughly the price of one of the New QSC K12.2 speakers. I am not sure what the going rate of used K12 in your area is but I know I paid I think $600 for a pair of K10 (came with stands, XLR cables plus other goodies) last year on my local market which by local standards is a deal. Find out what the average price in your area is for a used pair, go have a listen to them, check out what condition they're in & if everything checks out to you then go ahead & buy them (or see if you can talk him down a bit if your still on the fence).
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Would a pair of EV ZLX 12p’s or EV ELX 10p’s work well with the KSub? Looking at other less expensive options for tops to work well with the KSub if I can’t find a good deal on some used QSC tops.

I have a bunch of Ksubs and K8's.

A pair of K8's will easily keep up with 4 Ksubs when they are high passed. K8's are just such a great, versatile speaker. They're nice and loud when used with subs, and if you just need a speaker for background music and speech, they can pull their own weight nicely in "deep" mode as long as you don't pump music too loud through them.

Their wide coverage angle is great and their small size makes them much more attractive to clients.

Also check out the TurboSound i8. I really can't tell much of a difference between the K8 and i8... But the i8 can be had for as little as $460 new, and they have great built in DSP.

Stopped by the local GC to try and take a listen to some different options but the main guy who knows how to use everything was fine for the day. Went by another local place and listened to some K8.2’s and the CP12’s. The CP12’s sounded really good. I wanted to take a listen to some Yamaha DXR10’s but they didn’t have any at the moment. Have you guys had any experience with the QSC CP12’s?

Don't listen to tops by themselves. Listen to them along with subs. If you listen to tops by themselves you'll probably end up getting much larger and more expensive tops than you need.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Thanks. Issue I have is that the local GC does not have much on display to listen to. I was really unimpressed yesterday when I went to the store. There’s only two local music stores with live sound equipment and both had a poor selection to listen to.

In that case follow the advice given by SSS18734.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and it seems like the Ksub doesn’t get much love. Main reason I like it is due to its size and weight. How do you guys feel about the Ksub? Would it be a wise idea to sell it and purchase a 15” sub that is small and lightweight but packs a better punch?