Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with decent pair of speakers can test if my mixdown is crap? (short SC clip)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Could you open the download please.
    Absolutely! ty. This is the second take on the kick but I still have the issue of not hearing things like they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Volume Shaper is pretty good. You can use this as a visualisation tool too.
    Will look into that.

Thanks all for the collab. I think i'll move forward with buying a pair of monitors regardless of where i'm setup. I've looked into buying some before and i'm always pointed to the Yamaha over the KRKs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    Is that a free plugin?

Nuetron 3 does kind of the same I think.
    Where it'll show what frequencies are overlapped via the masking tool

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    No... Not free but there's a demo so you can have that eureka moment.
    No... Not similar to Neutron. I have that too. This is shown like a standard EQ.

Pluggins that have the waveform view... the wave form scrolls. It's all to do with the 1/4 setting and how the kick will remain drawn static with every hit. When you unmute the bass, you can see the kick change to the bass frequencies that are conflicting with it. You'll see cycles that pop out too high, causing more work for your master limiter. You can see how EQ changes, LC etc will shift the character of your kick. What you see will open up your understanding to sound frequencies and mixing.

It's pointless trying to explaining it. Once you see it with your own eye's, it's like defeating balrog, from grey to white.

Remember, I'm on about putting VS on the master buss purely as a visual tool. You can then edited the waves what ever way you see fit. Adjusting the samples, actual sidechain compression or using instances of VS on the source track.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 07-04-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Hmmmm. It's not muddy but there is a bit of a bump in the low mids, it does feel like mixed in headphones. It's ever so slightly prominent, but it's there. Just reducing that tiny bump will air everything else, and will bring back the punch in the bass. Otherwise it sounds fairly clean.

Thanks, Manu, but it's not even the same track anymore with all the changes ive made since. I downloaded that VolumeShaper and bought it 30 mins later. Nice plugin. Thanks @mitchiemasha

Using it now for side chaining, so I made quite a bit of changes to the track. Def a better option instead of using compressors (for that specific effect) and I thought I rid of dealing with those annoying clicks. I still get clicks but still love how you can better "shape" to your liking.

Great production bass is good and tight no sparkly highs. listening on Energy reference Connoisseurs and 15" sub.
    QSC GTDaudio B52 Numark NS7 American DJ Hercules 4Mx ACER Behringer Peavey Koss CerwinVega Selenium VDJ= Sweet Music
    Owner DRZ Inc.

The nightmare of trying to remove sidechain clicks. I remember running into that wall very well. I tried all sorts, shifting triggers out of time, every possible combination of Attack and Release, High ratio to low threshold and vice versa. One easy way to reduce them on a purely sub bass track, put a low pass filter after the compressor/shaper. Now, after hearing the stems of a lot of professional tracks, I realise they just ignored them, however, I couldn't.

I lost hours, weeks, months to it but... the best advice would be to ignore them and concentrate on the journey that is your song. Once the track is pretty much a good track, now go back in and worry about those finer details.

Another alternative is to use Dynamic EQ, this is perfect for a more transparent approach. BUT... The new Spectralayers offer the ultimate sidechain (edit: not actual sidechain or ducking for that matter). It has the ability to select the frequencies, apply that selection to the other track, delete, in the same way you'd do it in photoshop.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 07-05-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    The nightmare of trying to remove sidechain clicks. I remember running into that wall very well. I tried all sorts, shifting triggers out of time, every possible combination of Attack and Release, High ratio to low threshold and vice versa. One easy way to reduce them on a purely sub bass track, put a low pass filter after the compressor/shaper. Now, after hearing the stems of a lot of professional tracks, I realise they just ignored them, however, I couldn't.

I lost hours, weeks, months to it but... the best advice would be to ignore them and concentrate on the journey that is your song. Once the track is pretty much a good track, now go back in and worry about those finer details.

Another alternative is to use Dynamic EQ, this is perfect for a more transparent approach. BUT... The new Spectralayers offer the ultimate sidechain (edit: not actual sidechain or ducking for that matter). It has the ability to select the frequencies, apply that selection to the other track, delete, in the same way you'd do it in photoshop.
    lol I do try some of those to to hide or soften. Nice to fine others who have struggled with that.

I ended up with something completely different. After so many tweaks I hear something else and went with it. Broke night yesterday and finished up the arrangement today and a rough mastering.

I don't have time to get things perfect to if I get in a grove, I better finish it or it will sit half-completed and forgotten.

if your curious on how it turned out - https://soundcloud.com/rekaviles/eternal-original-mix

Generally speaking if a mix down is legit it will translate well to many speakers/headphones. If it doesn't the mixdown isn't right.
    Hi I used to be called DJZ w/ 1 million+ streams on SC.
    I was shut down for bootleg remixes by Sony/Universal in 2014.
    www.illegalnoize.com