Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with decent pair of speakers can test if my mixdown is crap? (short SC clip)

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    I read the open backs should only be used for final stages / mastering. Is that just personal preference or there a technical reason behind it?
    I use the open backs since while mixing house music the bass gets overly emphasized using closed backs. Causing (me) to increase gain levels on the mids and highs. Even with "studio brand" headphones. I find using open back gives a less coloured bass response. Then again I do switch up my monitoring while mixing. I use cheap ear buds, the 2 headphones, and 3 pairs of monitors. To keep the ears fresh... If that makes sense.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    (((DJF member since 06')))

For me it's mostly about having a QUIET home to work in... I get distracted by the kids... Tv's etc.. So I bring my laptop to the office with me and if my coworker ever shuts his crap lousy face I can get some critical listening done on my tracks. (While working on my job job of course.)

More bottom end in the kick to match the sub... or less sub overall. That was on my HiFi, not in the studio at minute.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    More bottom end in the kick to match the sub... or less sub overall. That was on my HiFi, not in the studio at minute.
    Thank you. I'm getting the same responses elsewhere.

I redid the kick and adjusted the rest. Thanks again, all.

Sorry. I arrived late from the office and was toast... Today is the last day of the work week though! So I'll be off till Monday. STUDIO TIME. Are you using any ducking/ side chain compression on your kick and bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    Sorry. I arrived late from the office and was toast... Today is the last day of the work week though! So I'll be off till Monday. STUDIO TIME. Are you using any ducking/ side chain compression on your kick and bass?

No worries. both kick and bass? Not the kick, although its a layered kick. And by 'bass', do you mean the sub layered with the kick?

I do have a constant 1 note bassline (not in sub freq range) and it is ducked. I am one of those who sidechains most things.

Ahh ok. I use the sidechainer plugin on my bass line fx channel. Which automates the ducking effect. Cutting out all the extra channel A/B routing and panning etc required when doing traditional sidechaining. (Both result in the same effect)

Can't wait to post up the progress I've made. Way more defined... And refined.

Volume Shaper is pretty good. You can use this as a visualisation tool too. Stick it on your master buss, set it to 1/4 and due to how it draws out the wave, you can see the kick and bass interact, how the bass might excite the transient of you kick and how the tail of the kick and bass start behaving badly when trying to play together, you'll see exactly which cycles become problematic. Try it, it's a huge ohhhh moment!!! ow you can go back in to the original tracks and correct things extremely accurately.

Is that a free plugin?

Nuetron 3 does kind of the same I think.
    Where it'll show what frequencies are overlapped via the masking tool

Could you open the download please. I'll grab that and go listen on my stuff rather than my laptop

I'm not going to read the thread, so I don't get influenced by the comments. I'd rather try a pair of fresh ears. Cheerio.