Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone with decent pair of speakers can test if my mixdown is crap? (short SC clip)

Anyone with decent pair of speakers can test if my mixdown is crap? (short SC clip)

Thanks in advance. I don't have proper studio speakers, only work off of headphones and the ones I have now are crap.

Going for a darker techno sound and it's not as "bright" compared to the house music I normally create. Can't tell if its muddy or just my headphones needing me to boost all the mid / hi end. Not even sure if investing in monitors will help since im in my living room and pretty much an open space. Looking to upgrade to better cans though.

clip removed. I ended up making something completely different.

For those interested:
    https://soundcloud.com/rekaviles/eternal-original-mix
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 07-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.

I'll give her a listen when I get home from work. I have 3 sets. JBL, KRK and Yamaha NS10 Studio monitors.
    I also have 2 pair of reference headphones, AKG and Beyerdynamics. I'll lend an ear for ya.
    (((DJF member since 06')))

Have you cross checked your mixdown with any reference tracks?
    I'm using a plugin called REFERENCE. So far it's helping a ton. I'm still learning it though.
    That along with Izotope Neutron 3. Both of those plugins have helped me BIG time in showing me where my frequencies need adjusting.

On my hifiman headphones it does not sound muddy - its clean and clear here.
    The highs don't sparkle, and the bass isn't super heavy, but I guess that is just the "track" rather than "production".
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by Crushgroove View Post
    I'll give her a listen when I get home from work. I have 3 sets. JBL, KRK and Yamaha NS10 Studio monitors.
    I also have 2 pair of reference headphones, AKG and Beyerdynamics. I'll lend an ear for ya.
    Awesome, ty.

Would you recommend either headphones? If you had to keep just one, which is more well-rounded for productions, not just the end mastering part?

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    On my hifiman headphones it does not sound muddy - its clean and clear here.
    The highs don't sparkle, and the bass isn't super heavy, but I guess that is just the "track" rather than "production".
    Never heard of that - I will look into it.

This sample I put up is nowhere near the mixdown stage - I'm still developing the track, not even arranged yet but even at this point, I need to make sure my sounds cleaned up. its sounding off for some reason. That reason may be the style im going for.

NP The Beyerdynamic DT-990 are best (imo) Open backed.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Yes, I was thinking the same but wanted to make sure. Thank you sir! I will also wait for Crushgroove to chime in since he can pass it through different setups.

You guys are awesome. Reps all around, if that even holds any weight these days

Monitors. I have to move my stuff around and organize em better... But they do the trick!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

NP The Beyerdynamic DT-990 are best (imo) Open backed.
    I read the open backs should only be used for final stages / mastering. Is that just personal preference or there a technical reason behind it?

Monitors. I have to move my stuff around and organize em better... But they do the trick!

I hope to have a room where I can build and stack up my gear like that. The misses has me in a corner of the living room. My brat better hurry up and ship out to college already (she just finished freshman yr of H.S.)
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 07-02-2019 at 02:00 PM.