Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL EON 515XT No Bass

JBL EON 515XT No Bass

Hi just like to introduce myself my name is mark and thank you letting me join this forum.

I have a question I brought a pair of JBLeon 515 xt on Saturday. I set them up today to try them out the lady I had them off said one speaker gives a thud when you switch it off but never affected it what so ever, so I connected my mixer and laptop to play some music to try them out. So switching them both on one was fine played OK, but the one that gave a thud when switched on made a noise like a fan then after a few seconds became quite only to find there was no bass the top end and mid range were fine just no bass so I was wondering if it could be a loose wire or is it a more bigger problem. any help appreciated thanks marbaker
    Last edited by Marbaker; 07-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbaker View Post
    I brought a pair of JBLeon 515 xt on Saturday.
    I'd try to get my money back before trying to fix it.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Thanks for the reply I'm not to bothered about getting my money back as I didn't pay that much for them and when you use them it's not that noticeable really but could really no what the problem might be thanks marbaker

I would never try to fix anything "just bought", or even try to understand what the problem is. Back to the shop.

I thought this forum was to help people with issues not to send them to a shop the person I had them of knows nothing about the issue with the speaker so I brought them of her cheep so I could try and find out the problem myself so it looks like I'm on the wrong forum thanks mark

You made a second hand transaction with a seller who does not/pretends not to know about what is being sold, and you found an issue after the transaction was carried out. I can already think of a few basic mistakes being made, but I guess that's not the subject at this point.

Your query is:

wondering if it could be a loose wire or is it a more bigger problem.
    Issues like these are usually not a loose cable problem.

so I could try and find out the problem myself so it looks like I'm on the wrong forum
    There is a paradox within your statement. Are you capable of opening up the speaker and find out if it's a loose wire, or do you expect someone from the internet to establish a diagnosis for you, without even seeing the speaker.

Possible issues:

Loose cable

Blown amp

Blown amp capacitors

Damaged board

Damaged electronic components

Overheated MOSFETS

Blown board fuse

mains connection intermittent

Blown power supply

blown speaker

So, for all the reasons listed above, it can be pretty difficult to point the finger at a specific one and tell you what your problem is.

so it looks like I'm on the wrong forum thanks mark
    There isn't a forum capable of X-raying your speaker from a distance and see what is going on inside thanks Manu. It's a bit like you go on a car forum and tell everyone your car makes a noise and dies, then asking if that is going to be simple or complicated.

Tip for the future: when buying second hand, fully test the unit before handing the money. Especially when the seller does not know what he/she is selling [or is trying to hide something and flog it as is].

the lady I had them off said one speaker gives a thud when you switch it off but never affected it
    the person I had them of knows nothing about the issue
    Pick one. She noticed the issue, told you that it never did affect it (aka it happened many times and she never bothered-that's how you blow speakers up by the way), and you took that in good faith. You purchased the speakers regardless. Then you go home, find out 3 days later that it does not work, and in turn criticise DjForums for not being able to accurately diagnose your problem, but also not being able to fulfil your expectations of providing you a low cost solution.

I thought this forum was to help people with issues not to send them to a shop
    If you don't know what you are doing, then I'm afraid your next option is to find someone who does. I. e. engineer in a repairs shop.

Thread moved to "speakers"
    Last edited by Manu; 07-02-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    If you don't know what you are doing, then I'm afraid your next option is to find someone who does. I. e. engineer in a repairs shop.
    Well put.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Thanks again for all the replies I have taken it to a shop for there diagnosis I await there result thanks again regards mark

JBL EON 515XT No Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Marbaker View Post
    I thought this forum was to help people with issues not to send them to a shop...
    LOL... This IS a “DJ” forum. We can give you advice about DJing ALL DAY, but any advice we’d give about PA or electronics repairs is likely to be hit-and-miss, as there are not many of us here who are professional electronics repair persons. We’re DJ’s. Sometimes the best HELP we can give you is to see a professional repairman.

I prefer to buy used products from Guitar Center and pick it up at my local Guitar Center. I open the box in front of them so they can see if there is visible damage. And even if there is no visible damage, if I notice a problem within a reasonable time. (Three months later is not a reasonable time.) They fix it, replace it, or take ir back (refund it). Or at least that has always been my experience, I don't think that's a writen rule.

It might cost 5% or 10% more than buying off of Craigs List or eBay, but for me, the peace of mind is worth the extra money.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.