Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been out the loop for a few yrs...

Been out the loop for a few yrs...

So the thin speaker with the sub is the "New" thing?

How many of you have jumped to those speakers?
    Last edited by Carloscda; 06-29-2019 at 06:40 PM.

New? They've owned the pro-touring genre for almost 20 years.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    New? They've owned the pro-touring genre for almost 20 years.
    I worded it wrong, I mean something like the RCF EVOX 8 Portable Compact Line Array PA System.

Was at a event a few weeks ago and the Dj had something like that, didn't get to see the name of the speakers.

The RCF EVOX 8 are decent for certain functions but they're not line array, they're actually column array speakers.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

Technically speaking all speakers with vertically placed drivers are line arrays. How high the array is defines how low they operate as line versus point sources.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    I worded it wrong, I mean something like the RCF EVOX 8 Portable Compact Line Array PA System.
    Most of these systems compromise absolute output SPL for maximum portability same as the smaller traditional PA speakers do, so as a result they are best suited to small to medium sized events.. the biggest versions are capable of respectable max SPLs but of course aren't as portable. They do sound a bit different than a standard PA speaker and they don't all generate the same sound quality, some are quite good while others actually sound pretty bad and you guessed it.. with a few exceptions(Bose) the more expensive versions offer better SQ and overall performance. One big difference with these systems is that the low frequency component(driver) isn't really a sub it is a bass module, that is because the tiny little column drivers can't handle any bass so the bass module has to cover everything up to 250hz or more. And that column of drivers does produce audible comb filtering, I think the device that comes closest to replicating the sound with traditional PA speakers are those aural exciters(BBE Sonic Maximizer) that are still popular with some DJs, I was never a fan of these but I have heard systems sound much worse for other reasons.
    So depending what your priorities are these system could be a good option for you it just depends on the type of events you do.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    and you guessed it.. with a few exceptions(Bose) the more expensive versions offer better SQ and overall performance.
    That's true even with Bose. A pair of F1 812 speakers with a pair of F1 subwoofers is going to sound better than a pair of Bose L1 speakers with B1 bass modules. (F system = $4,196 versus L system = $3,060)

But for $3,960 you could get a pair of Peavey RBN112 active speakers and a pair of Peavey RBN215 active subwoofers. Which is going to sound a lot better than the Bose F1 system.

Or if you want the look of a Bose L1 & F1. You could buy two RCF Evox 8 systems for $3,598 which will most likely sound better than two Bose F1 systems & be about $600 cheaper than the Bose.

{Based on current Guitar Center prices.}
    Last edited by Windows 95; 06-30-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    {Based on current Guitar Center prices.}
    The very high end, "pro" stuff isn't usually off-the-shelf so you need to ask manufacturers/companies directly for a quote.

Which is when they start selling you things, given that you have the money. Some don't even necessarily sell to/bother with (sounds sort of harsh but I couldn't put it better way) private customers, meaning you need to be "reputable" in their book, DBA or run a company, venue etc.

I don't think the Bose systems sound bad per se I just don't think they perform as well as the price point suggests. A single L1 system is $2500 retail here in Canada, that is laughable.. in no way does it outperform an EKX12p over EKX18sp!
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    I don't think the Bose systems sound bad per se I just don't think they perform as well as the price point suggests. A single L1 system is $2500 retail here in Canada, that is laughable.. in no way does it outperform an EKX12p over EKX18sp!
    An L1 with a B1 is $1,530.
    An EKX-12P with an EKX-18SP is $2,529.

With the Electro-Voice system costing so much more (And being so much larger and heavier than the Bose system), I should hope it sounds better.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.