Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xone 96 upfader curve switch reversed??

Xone 96 upfader curve switch reversed??

Hi, really important information ahead:
    I just realised today that the upfader curve switch is the wrong way around on my Xone 96 - i.e. when switched to left for linear, I get curve and vice-versa. I bought the mixer new from the official A&H distributor in Aus.

Wondering if anyone else has this lil quirk on their 96? I kind of like it and probably won't get it fixed.

Anyway just thought I would throw this out there. have a good day.

I would call that a defect (what else could go wrong)

Contact

https://www.allen-heath.com/support/

the official A&H distributor in Aus
    There is only one. https://www.allen-heath.com/dist_type/australia/
    Last edited by Manu; 06-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Logarithmic potentiometers were (for the most part) designed because we perceive them as if they have a 1:1 loudness ratio across the taper, whereas linear pots aren't as "accurate" in the very extreme end (in mixing it's the "sweet spot" where many engineers and DJs like to work)

OT : Generally people engineering pro audio devices use log pots for volume and linear pots for panning (and mixed use in other applications such as EQ) to get the pan work in the middle (I'd hazard a guess it's a compromise because in 12 o'clock you have 50/50 resistance for both channels meaning it's load dependant, ie. with high levels you won't achieve full kill for the other channel when hard panning, whereas with a log pot the figure is roughly 30/70 and the center would be "off")

This resistance, albeit the L/R channels being summed means there's a voltage drop across the potentiometer even when it's in the middle (the trick would be to use separate potentiometers but for the sake of convenience or to save space many manufacturers use just one, but I'd figure they see the trouble or do the math to match it as close as possible with the unity gain while retaining a 180° stereo image)

But like Manu said it's most likely defect (or a "black sheep", components & semiconductors are usually manufactured in bulk and hand-picked within tolerances so there's a chance of human error). I think A&H mixers are VCA with most likely surface mount components meaning they're nearly impossible to fix at home, at least without a hot-air station, unless there's a way to flip the switch the other way around so if I were you I'd just send it back for repair or try and deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I would call that a defect (what else could go wrong)

Contact

https://www.allen-heath.com/support/

There is only one. https://www.allen-heath.com/dist_type/australia/
    Yeah Store DJ was what I was referring to.

As far as I know it's the only thing wrong with this unit, and if nothing else arises I'm prepared to live with a 'black sheep'. But I will probably contact A&H anyway just so its in writing.

Thanks for your help guys

No worries, please do get it on the record with them. They (A&H) do have more or less of an outstanding reputation for customer service, so I would pursue the matter with them.

I would not take the risk of having a deficient part that becomes even more of a problem in the long term. A&H mixers are top of the range and pried as such, so I would expect nothing short of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    They (A&H) do have more or less of an outstanding reputation for customer service
    Is that why they killed the Xone dj forums?

You wouldn't believe how costly it is to run a customer service via forums. Not the first or last company that does it, they usually switch to facebook.

Maybe, but they are not just any company and they actually have forums for the non dj products where people sometimes wrongly address dj related questions.

OK. Maybe that's an issue you would like to raise with them. I don't think this is relative in any way to DjForums.

Just for the record: it was raised here as a counter argument to the already made statement that they have outstanding reputation for customer service, not because I wanted to appeal to A&H via DjForums. Never mind...