Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xone 96 upfader curve switch reversed??

Did you ever get this resolved?

I think my 96 is the same way. I had it on the left most setting, which is labelled as "linear", but I was finding when mixing that it was SO sensitive at the top end of the channel fader.

When I switch it to the right, sure seems more linear to me.
    "Oooh look at me.... I wrote the Internet!"

The strait line side on the left should be quadratic math to get that strait line response, not linear. Sounds like the mixer face designer and the internals designer weren't communicating... maybe because one of them was speaking Chinese.

Linear is more sensitive near the top with very little change in apparent volume lower and middle on the fader. That's the math of the curve itself. Log is more gradual. Quadratic even more so and with the change spread out lower on the fader travel. This is somewhat confusing for people in-general already with settings that say Lin, Log, Quad, because if you look at visual curves of the apparent change in sound that, say, Pioneer and A&H (usually) uses, the strait one that you would think is the linear math is actually the quadratic one. The apparent volume change verses the math of the voltage change... a decibel thing.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 10-11-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    The strait line side on the left should be quadratic math to get that strait line response, not linear. Sounds like the mixer face designer and the internals designer weren't communicating... maybe because one of them was speaking Chinese.

Linear is more sensitive near the top with very little change in apparent volume lower and middle on the fader. That's the math of the curve itself. Log is more gradual. Quadratic even more so and with the change spread out lower on the fader travel. This is somewhat confusing for people in-general already with settings that say Lin, Log, Quad, because if you look at visual curves of the apparent change in sound that, say, Pioneer and A&H (usually) uses, the strait one that you would think is the linear math is actually the quadratic one. The apparent volume change verses the math of the voltage change... a decibel thing.
    Right right. I reached out to Allen & Heath support and they explained it the same way. Makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    Right right. I reached out to Allen & Heath support and they explained it the same way. Makes sense!
    But you're saying when you put the switch to the strait line it does hardly anything until the top of the fader?

But you're saying when you put the switch to the strait line it does hardly anything until the top of the fader?
    With the straight line it’s really sensitive at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    With the straight line it’s really sensitive at the top.
    That's a screw up on A&H's part, then.

That's a screw up on A&H's part, then.
    They seem to think it’s as designed. Idk.