Thread: External Volume Control

External Volume Control

I have an old, small Behringer mixer that I like to use for smaller setups. However, the only place to plug my computer into is the CD/Tape RCA inputs (I have tried one of the 1/4" line inputs, but it sounds terrible) Unfortunately, the CD/Tape input doesn't have a fader. Therefore, I can't control the input volume without using the master fader.

Is there a product that could sit in-line of my external sound card and mixer input that could achieve this?

I haven't found much in my searches.

Thanks!

External Volume Control

Quote Originally Posted by HBL Entertainment View Post
    I have an old, small Behringer mixer that I like to use for smaller setups. However, the only place to plug my computer into is the CD/Tape RCA inputs (I have tried one of the 1/4" line inputs, but it sounds terrible) Unfortunately, the CD/Tape input doesn't have a fader. Therefore, I can't control the input volume without using the master fader.

Is there a product that could sit in-line of my external sound card and mixer input that could achieve this?

I haven't found much in my searches.

Thanks!
    Not sure if this helps, but I had a situation where I wanted to control the volume of a 1/4” jack in one of my rack systems, but the sound card device was buried inside the rack, so the volume knob was not easily accessible. I ordered one of these on Amazon...

PAC LC-1 Remote Amplifier Level... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J226O...p_mob_ap_share

... and mounted it on the hinged rack access panel above my controller...

... You can see it in the above photo at the top left, just above my gooseneck mic, and to the left of the 1/4” jack it controls. That’s a Bluetooth receiver on the bottom right side. This is what the hinged Access Panel looks like on the underside when opened...

... A better look at the top of the rack...

Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 06-22-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but I had a situation where I wanted to control the volume of a 1/4” jack in one of my rack systems, but the sound card device was buried inside the rack, so the volume knob was not easily accessible. I ordered one of these on Amazon...

PAC LC-1 Remote Amplifier Level... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J226O...p_mob_ap_share

... and mounted it on the hinged rack access panel above my controller...

... You can see it in the above photo at the top left, just above my gooseneck mic, and to the left of the 1/4” jack it controls. That’s a Bluetooth receiver on the bottom right side. This is what the hinged Access Panel looks like on the underside when opened...

... A better look at the top of the rack...

Thanks for the pics and suggestions. That product looks like it would do the trick. I'd just need to replace one set of female RCA's to males.

Can't you use the system volume control? Iirc some audio interfaces have fixed output volume, but the ones that are integrated/PCI usually don't unless you have the wrong drivers or something.. (edit : they can be noisy though; ground hum, switching noise, conversion/compression artefacts due to low sample rate and bit depth etc)

If it's a matter of access to the computer you could always solder a potentiometer with a few connectors between the line out and the mixer, or get a compact PA mixer (there are as small as 1-2ch mixers designed for this task, ie. monitor controllers) to adjust the volume.