Thread: How does MK do this effect?

Hybrid View

How does MK do this effect?

Hi all, sorry for this one as im assuming its a simple questions and i cant figure it out. If you watch MK play my head is a jungle live there is always a loop before the drop that isn't actually in the song but i cannot for the life of me figure it out. I've tried active memory cues and echos but i just can't make it sound like how he does. I have a feeling its an edit he's made for himself but could someone confirm this? thanks ( I have a DDJ-1000)

Links:
    Skip to 2:20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Row_j_vswWQ

Watch from start:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDUT5ZjMjo

First of all I'd say he's playing a re edit of the song. Alternatively you could mix it in, use a dub echo fade out, then press your pre made cue to skip the track to roughly 2.02, in time, but prebar to allow for the extra bit of vocal.

Personally, when i mix this is in, I prefer to use a loop.
    Loop the last 8 beats before the Piano.
    Do some crazy chops switching in that last bit of vocal before the Piano, 1 beat chop, everybody recognises it.
    Leave it in the mix looping for a phrase, copping out that same last beat.
    End the loop to time the piano coming in on top of the previous track switching to its plain outro beats.

Works a treat.

Dub echo effects like he does in those vids always sound/seem better when there's a crowd like that. If us tumbleweed town Dj's do it... people be like WTF you doing!

I think (if you mean the vocal loop) he first loops 1 bar for a while and changes the loop length into 1 beat about halfway closer to the drop.

It's quite difficult technique to master (in Traktor for example) since you have to exit the loop the given length before the drop etc in order to stay in the 8 bar phrasing if you're looping the track itself, unless you play the loop/same song on another deck or use a pre-produced loop (edit : another thing is the track phrasing will be off by x beats from the Master/MIDI clock in case you're running external gear off it like drum machines, samplers, synths etc unless you use some sort of script, if there is one that is, or if it's possible in any software.. dropping on 1/2, 1/4th etc is much harder)

We used to do that in b2b sets with a buddy, but we'd been jamming together before and practiced stuff beforehand (I'm not saying we pre-programmed everything, just agreed some rules for common ground as to what to expect from each other; I'd say ~60-70% of the live shows we did were improvised, and if I recall correctly he sort of mastered that technique very well)

EDIT : I'm not saying either that in order to perform it live with 1/4ths or so you need to be a sniper or something, but then again booze could turn you into a musketeer.. iirc there's a grid menu in Traktor he showed me that helps with the issue but my MBP won't start so I can't check it (and I assume you're using Serato right?)

EDIT 2 : another thing is it could be easier with a controller instead of using a trackpad/keyboard to punch in/out the loops and change the length.. go figure. In Traktor you can set the loop so it snaps to grid by default btw which may help (I don't know if Serato has this), but mine was off, probably because I was lazy with fine-tuning the beat grids (I usually did that on the fly while practicing)

EDIT 3 : the problem with playing it live (looping the track that's playing) is you get the 1 bar etc loop at the end of the phrase unless you have the drop hot-cued.. Traktor has the Loop Recorder (afaik it doesn't record from the decks in external mixer mode) but I use it for saxophone mainly, and I'm not a big fan of looping anyway (at most I have a few hot-cued autoloops here and there)

i zoomed in a little but to the laptop in the second video and im almost certain its an edit he made himself. i can see the actual waveform for the echo while it fades and the silence before the track drops again. its playing on the top left deck in traktor. and i compared it to the first vid and they sound identical. the first one had a bass line in it but that might just be the differences in sound system and phone quality. not sure if you're into production but you should be able to achieve this in ableton pretty easily.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO

efinque... when using dub echo it's easy. It builds the loop up on itself automatically, all you have to do is have the cue preset, you can leave it crescendoing for as long as you like, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, half an hour. Once you turn the knob all the way right, the seamless loop never ends (it's not at all like a standard loop, it's a dub echo). Whilst this never ending loop is intensifying, all you need to do is turn the filter, when silence, hit your cue... BOOM! although that's not what he's doing here, he's cheating.

I use this effect all the time but not to silence in a song but to end the song that is currently been mixed into. I wish I had a good enough crowd to loop to silence

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    efinque... when using dub echo it's easy.
    I was thinking the Beatmasher in Traktor which iirc loops 1 bar at 100 but it doesn't remove the need for "sniping" it on beat (edit : and quickly adjusting it to 25 so it doesn't go off beat I'd reckon).. I personally use it at 67 for a triplet (ie. 2/3) sort of effect.

Dub echo doesn't require any snipping. It adds more of an echo to the track while it's playing, depending on how high you have the knob. This echo will build and build as the track progresses, the more you turn the knob the less of the original track will be coming through, the more of the echo that has built up on itself will come through. If you do it quickly you will get more like a distinguishable loop, slowly, it will build into a wash. Once the knob is all the way to the right, what ever the point is you've grabbed, will never end, seamlessly.

I'm not familiar with it's name in Traktor. I strongly recommend looking into it, it's easily one of the best transition tools, much better the good old loop out for enabling early transitions were you normally couldn't. You can use it to change any part of a song into a build up, use that build up to drop into something big of another song.