Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Tribal Beats to use as Bridge Tracks

Best Tribal Beats to use as Bridge Tracks

Evening guys,

I'm looking for some tribal beats and percussion tracks to use as bridge tracks in my house mixes - drums and percussion only. What are the best compilations you can recommend?

Dunno about compilations but Stereo/Stereo Cool have a nice catalogue of tribal stuff ranging from darker sounds to melodic.

Pretty much one of the most definitive labels in the genre imo. I got like 20 releases on vinyl from 2005-2010.

Toolroom released some techier tribal stuff too but you should ask Coffey if he's still around, he seems to know his stuff (actually I lost a DJ mix battle against him in 2008 iirc )

I also came across this guy Patrick Kroft who released a very groovy mixtape called "Tribal Trip"

Can you create loops? Unless youre looking for full tracks I would suggest looping sections of a track - check out "Deep in the Bottom - Monique Bingham". That intro beat is nasty!

If you need a full track that is similar, there is one that's similar but I can remember that name right now. Released back in the 90s, definite classic tribal track - i'll post the name when I find it.

when I hear tribal ... I think tribalation.

... but I'm probably showing my age
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Can't find the track I was looking for. Must not have it, thought I did. Here are a few more if you're looking for tribal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    Can you create loops? Unless youre looking for full tracks I would suggest looping sections of a track
    Good idea, didn't really think of that.

But you need a laptop with software (edit : and a controller wouldn't hurt either, although you can trigger loops, for example in Traktor, with trackpad/keyboard like I used to, it's just heavy on them in the long run), an extra CD player/turntable or a sampler etc to successfully perform that technique

At this point I just assume everyone is running software unless otherwise stated. lol

but for sure, if he's not digital, best to avoid loops unless he has a standalone sampler. I remember having a Gemini one back in the day. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    At this point I just assume everyone is running software unless otherwise stated. lol

but for sure, if he's not digital, best to avoid loops unless he has a standalone sampler. I remember having a Gemini one back in the day. Good times!
    Yes I remember seeing those too.. Urei 1601S for example has an inbuilt sampler, I guess there are others too but I can't recall any other specific manufacturers/models from the top of my head (they *are* somewhat rare, I'd figure most people prefer standalone samplers but I remember reading the Gemini mixer with an inbuilt sampler was very popular and sought after back in it's day, although expensive so unobtainium for many)

But yeah digital is the key to some of the advanced stuff.. although I've read people used to splice tape loops to use in mixes.

EDIT : I think Loopmasters is one of the best companies to start digging for sample packs with loops, they're usually sorted/named by genre and sometimes they give away freebies & discounts etc (and Traktor for example comes bundled with some Loopmasters one-shots and loops) At times there's good stuff on Beatport too from known and less-known producers.

I remember buying Techno/House Dj tool records with looped beats back in the day.
    Need two of them to hold a really long loop.
    But it did also make it possible to juggle the beats also.

Ah the techniques lost in time to the flow of digital shenanigans. Don't miss it though, tapping a button is a lot easier.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I like these two tunes, unsure if they are exactly tribal but have good beautiful beats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k20IzINVog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRJHciavdQ