Thread: Vestax Mixer Buzzing Problem

Vestax Mixer Buzzing Problem

Hi all,

I've just picked up an old Vestax PMC-26 rotary mixer. Very nice sounding simple mixer which I'm enjoying using but there is a buzzing problem I am trying to resolve. The mixer has two outputs; either line out and a record out. When using the line out, this random buzzing comes and goes. This typically happens when touching the mixer by turning a knob or pressing a button, or even lightly tapping the front panel. The buzzing is loud and dominates over the music. I can stop it by tapping the mixer until it goes. This is obviously very annoying. The buzz only happens when using the line out. The record out is fine so I have been using this as my speaker output. It would therefore seem like there is some kind of loose contact or something in the line out circuit, but I don't really know what to make of it. Have any of you had similar problems with your mixers?

Kind regards,

Dan

Hmmm, could be a dead capacitor around the line out board. Is changing the master volume doing anything, i.e. does it stop when you push it significantly up?

Anything going on in the headphones or is it just the line out?

The master volume doesn't seem to affect the buzzing however, as with some of the other knobs, turning it can result in the buzzing starting/stopping. And there's no buzzing in the headphones. Seems to be completely isolated to the line out

It doesn't sound like a major issue, but then the unit still needs to be opened up and diagnosed. You could be right as per a bit of loose circuitry, but that's just one possible diagnosis out of a couple more.

At least you know it's related to the master out, and not the secondary rec out.

cold solder joint on the output RCA