Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: newbie help with mixer/amp setup

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    What mixer were you using before?

And I'm confused about what exactly is redlining? Can you elaborate on that?
    The mixer has 5 channels to which you feed inputs from your sources. Each channel has a gain knob on it as well as VUs indicating the dB level in each. It starts with green LEDs and up to red which indicates you are running higher than desired. You turn gain down on nixer to avoid that. However my gain is down all the way and turning up slightly puts into red.

OK that suggests the signal is way too hot, but you didn't have that problem with the same equipment connected to a different mixer correct? Behringer messed up the gains on another mixer(VMX1000).. in that case is was with the microphone input, that means it's not inconceivable that they did something similar with this one. Can you borrow another mixer to test this theory?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

OK that suggests the signal is way too hot, but you didn't have that problem with the same equipment connected to a different mixer correct? Behringer messed up the gains on another mixer(VMX1000).. in that case is was with the microphone input, that means it's not inconceivable that they did something similar with this one. Can you borrow another mixer to test this theory?
    i still have my old mixer so i could plug that back in and see. Also I just ran a USB input from my laptop into the mixer and it plays perfectly with mixer and speakers behaving impeccably. So I think the issue is isolated to the phone inputs now. Perhaps I need to replace the RCA and ground cables from the turntables into the mixer - they are quite old. Or perhaps and of more concern is that mixer is poorly built when it comes to the gain settings for those phono inputs.

So just as an update I eventually figured out with Behringer product support (Music Tribe?) that the mixer was indeed faulty in a number of respects:

1. BPM counter doesn't work
    2. Phono input connectors are faulty

Essentially the input signal coming in somewhere is too high so the gain is redundant. However manufacturer feedback was "The feature won't work if the signal is too low" which is all relative I suppose.

I put the old mixer back in and it works as intended and actually the sound improvement overall is quite impressive.

Manufacturer send to return/replace faulty unit. Amazon said they couldn't replace it (price has gone up) while manufacturer says they can repair it but would have to pay shipping to their facility. Just ended up getting Amazon refund and will keep old one and start looking again.