Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie help with mixer/amp setup

newbie help with mixer/amp setup

Hi There - I posted this on the avforum and was redirected here. For many years I have been running a home DJ setup with two Technics SL1200 MkII turntables and a CD/USB player together with an oldish Panasonic amp, Behringer mixer and JBL speakers. Everything was good. Then I decided in my aging wisdom it was time to upgrade both the mixer and speakers. I have the Behringer DJX900USB and a nice set of Q Acoustic 3050i floorstanding speakers. Now when I am setting up my new system with speakers and mixer I am seeing issues I did not have in my old system namely:

1. Have to turn mixer gain down all the way on all channels to avoid redlining. This is for the phono inputs only. Note I did try switching around to line inputs but obviously low sound as need the pre-amp.
    2. New mixer doesn't have a mixer gain knob like the old one and it seems like I can barely get the VU to register on the mixer output now.
    3. My amplifier is turned up way higher than my old setup to get the same volume (Assume related to 1 above).

So right now I am not sure if it is my amplifier, my speaker cables (still have old ones), my turntable needles (waiting for new ones) or something else. The impedance of the new speakers is a bit lower than the old ones but the amplifier has a low impedance button which I have engaged. Inputs welcome as would love to keep the new speakers and mixer and not revert to the old setup!

When I search for "Q Acoustic 3050i floorstanding speakers" I get something that looks like home audio speakers, is this a home studio application or mobile DJ?
    1. Could be a mixer thing, Behringer mixers aren't that great overall.
    2. No it has a master fader instead
    3. Could also be a difference in the speaker sensitivity. Are you using the same interconnect cables as you did with the old gear?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Technics phono (RCA) cables plugged into phono input on mixer (inputs 2 4 and 4)
    Mixer channels set to phono input. Ensure that any cheeky switches on the back of the mixer are set to phono.
    Then set the PFL level with the channel gain knob.
    Plug in your amp to master output. Make sure amp is on a line level input (CD for example) - not phono.
    Then raise the master fader up until you hear hot beats.

Jam out to hot beats.

Post on this forum that I am a genius.

Jam out some more.
    Last edited by pete; 06-13-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

thanks Paul you could be right about Behringer though the one I replaced was good enough. I am using the same cables as before - thinking of upgrading to new speaker cables too - are the QEDs worth it?

Did all this already. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about redlining the mixer since I am not in a club but my house. Does this damage the speakers much?

“I have nothing to declare except my genius”

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Technics phono (RCA) cables plugged into phono input on mixer (inputs 2 4 and 4)
    Mixer channels set to phono input. Ensure that any cheeky switches on the back of the mixer are set to phono.
    Then set the PFL level with the channel gain knob.
    Plug in your amp to master output. Make sure amp is on a line level input (CD for example) - not phono.
    Then raise the master fader up until you hear hot beats.

Jam out to hot beats.

Post on this forum that I am a genius.

Jam out some more.

Quote Originally Posted by davidgcooke View Post
    Did all this already. Perhaps I shouldn't worry about redlining the mixer since I am not in a club but my house. Does this damage the speakers much?

“I have nothing to declare except my genius”
    Oscar Wilde.

You're taking the risk of killing the tweeters on those

Q Acoustic 3050i floorstanding speakers
    You do not want to feed anything more than 180mV line level standard on HiFi, especially when running on 4 ohm speakers.

are the QEDs worth it
    Not if your sound is going through a behringer mixer. As per the old saying goes, your sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. And Behringer, bless them, are bottom barrel in that category due to decades of corner cutting and use of the cheapest components. I'm afraid you can't shine plastic shoes.
    Last edited by Manu; 06-14-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidgcooke View Post
    Hi There - I posted this on the avforum and was redirected here. For many years I have been running a home DJ setup with two Technics SL1200 MkII turntables and a CD/USB player together with an oldish Panasonic amp, Behringer mixer and JBL speakers. Everything was good. Then I decided in my aging wisdom it was time to upgrade both the mixer and speakers. I have the Behringer DJX900USB and a nice set of Q Acoustic 3050i floorstanding speakers. Now when I am setting up my new system with speakers and mixer I am seeing issues I did not have in my old system namely:

1. Have to turn mixer gain down all the way on all channels to avoid redlining. This is for the phono inputs only. Note I did try switching around to line inputs but obviously low sound as need the pre-amp.
    2. New mixer doesn't have a mixer gain knob like the old one and it seems like I can barely get the VU to register on the mixer output now.
    3. My amplifier is turned up way higher than my old setup to get the same volume (Assume related to 1 above).

So right now I am not sure if it is my amplifier, my speaker cables (still have old ones), my turntable needles (waiting for new ones) or something else. The impedance of the new speakers is a bit lower than the old ones but the amplifier has a low impedance button which I have engaged. Inputs welcome as would love to keep the new speakers and mixer and not revert to the old setup!
    Hold up - are you plugging your CD/USB player into phono level inputs rather than line?
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Hold up - are you plugging your CD/USB player into phono level inputs rather than line?
    Nope they go into line/CD input

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a mixer that you can recommend for home DJ listening with these speakers?

What mixer were you using before?

And I'm confused about what exactly is redlining? Can you elaborate on that?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com