Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compulsiveness: how much equipment is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by djknowledge View Post
    i haven't replaced them yet. not sure if i will. they aren't incredibly loud, but they sound pretty good and get the job done. my only gripe wit the subs is that the limit light comes on way too early it seems. just have to face reality with their output. i'd say i have to almost triple the price of each item to get a significant increase in output and sound quality.
    Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit buying a few years ago after I got my pair of SL-1200GLD turntables, my rotary Bozak mixer, my Dorrough VU meters, Traktor, and my McIntosh sound system. It took 40 years of constantly upgrading to get there, but I believe I'm done buying, since anything I get now would be a downgrade. So yes, if you keep at it long enough, you will eventually quit buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I quit buying a few years ago after I got my pair of SL-1200GLD turntables, my rotary Bozak mixer, my Dorrough VU meters, Traktor, and my McIntosh sound system. It took 40 years of constantly upgrading to get there, but I believe I'm done buying, since anything I get now would be a downgrade. So yes, if you keep at it long enough, you will eventually quit buying.
    Don’t stop until you reach the top! 😎

A pair of CDJ 2000s, a pair of 1200s and a DJM 900 are all you need.
    2x CDJ 2000, 1x CDJ 900, 2x Technics 1200 M3D/Shure M44-7, Denon DN-X1500, 5" KRK Rokit G2, Polk PSW10, Sennheiser HD 25 II straight cable, 64 gig Crucial C300.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Que Yi View Post
    Okay I love DJ’ing. I said it and admit it. Now the question is how much expenditures on equipment is enough? I’m a Mobile DJ and have an ample sound system that can handle my events, lights, mics, and all the required gear and backups.

Yet, I find my self constantly pondering and buying more gear. Am I the only one with this issue? Has anyone stopped buying or even thought of stop buying DJ stuff? How did you do it? How much is enough?

Thanks,
    Que Yi

I think we do this because that is how we are wired. human beings love acquiring stuff, buying stuff, making stuff, etc. the work is never done.
    I do it with books as well as music.
    there is always something I want to buy or get. but I often find that once I get it, my eyes fix on something else.
    because I actually enjoy the pursuit as much, maybe even more than having the thing.

so I have come to the conclusion that its good to recognize that according to human nature, you can never have everything you want, nor would you be happy if you did.
    so the first thing you can do is slow down the buying, because there is no rush

so, in answer to the OPs question: I think enough is enough when you can function and provide a decent service.

on the other hand, if you already have enough to provide a good service, and your spending is damaging your life or your business then you are buying too much.
    you are not buying these things because you need them.

in which case, it might be better to change your buying habits, and start buying things that cost less and/or will benefit you more than DJ equipment.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 09-24-2019 at 06:29 PM.