Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compulsiveness: how much equipment is enough?

Compulsiveness: how much equipment is enough?

Okay I love DJ’ing. I said it and admit it. Now the question is how much expenditures on equipment is enough? I’m a Mobile DJ and have an ample sound system that can handle my events, lights, mics, and all the required gear and backups.

Yet, I find my self constantly pondering and buying more gear. Am I the only one with this issue? Has anyone stopped buying or even thought of stop buying DJ stuff? How did you do it? How much is enough?

Thanks,
    Que Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear lust is natural because we always want to do more or work easier... or both.

How much is enough? When you can perform the way you want. Does that mean that you won't want new/more gear? No, but it will mean that you won't feel the need to get it.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I base my purchases on need/demand. I am an old school mobile jock who focus mostly on weddings. I live in a small rural area of the state with our twin cities being the heart of n/e Louisiana. The twin cities has a population of about 90,000 combined with about 250,000 parish (county) wide. For me, it's not like having to keep up with the Kardashians. Its not like I am in L.A., Chicago or New York city. My rural area doesnt require much. Therefore, I try to understand what my back woods people need & what the wealthy people need & provide that. Again, its not much more than basic stuff for DJing. I thought about getting into things like photo booths etc, but the demand, over all, I dont think is worth the investment, especially when there are a few small specialized photo booth side business already here. I try to buy what I can sell & profit from. Otherwise, I dont worry about it.

I have a small lighting system.

I have 4 sets of speakers & sound systems for a variety of uses, including backup in case of equipment failure. I have both powered & passive. I have one large sound system that I use for larger events, a smaller system for average events & two smaller systems for ceremonies, small birthdays etc. But, I picked up all of this over 17 years. So, dont buy often.
    Only way I buy anything anymore is if there is a demand for it. I seldom replace any equipment if its still serves its purpose & is reliable.

Just me though....
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Gear lust is natural because we always want to do more or work easier... or both.

How much is enough? When you can perform the way you want. Does that mean that you won't want new/more gear? No, but it will mean that you won't feel the need to get it.
    Thanks KLH,

I agree, the key is “when you can perform the way you want!”. And that should be it. And you’re right it doesn’t take away the urge. For example, my SX2 allows me to perform the way I want, but that doesn’t stop me from eyeing and seriously considering upgrading to a SZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I base my purchases on need/demand. I am an old school mobile jock who focus mostly on weddings. I live in a small rural area of the state with our twin cities being the heart of n/e Louisiana. The twin cities has a population of about 90,000 combined with about 250,000 parish (county) wide. For me, it's not like having to keep up with the Kardashians. Its not like I am in L.A., Chicago or New York city. My rural area doesnt require much. Therefore, I try to understand what my back woods people need & what the wealthy people need & provide that. Again, its not much more than basic stuff for DJing. I thought about getting into things like photo booths etc, but the demand, over all, I dont think is worth the investment, especially when there are a few small specialized photo booth side business already here. I try to buy what I can sell & profit from. Otherwise, I dont worry about it.

I have a small lighting system.

I have 4 sets of speakers & sound systems for a variety of uses, including backup in case of equipment failure. I have both powered & passive. I have one large sound system that I use for larger events, a smaller system for average events & two smaller systems for ceremonies, small birthdays etc. But, I picked up all of this over 17 years. So, dont buy often.
    Only way I buy anything anymore is if there is a demand for it. I seldom replace any equipment if its still serves its purpose & is reliable.

Just me though....
    Thanks Dix,

You brought up an important perspective. Need and Demand are crucial guidance factors- especially if you’re focused on running a business.

Compulsiveness: how much equipment is enough?

OK... I’ll chime in on this one.😄 There’s a certain type of person who’s ALWAYS searching out new tech... I suppose I’m one. I like to constantly keep improving my setups, so I buy more gear and swap out my old gear. I rarely sell any of the old gear, so now I have more gear than places to store it. I’d have more PA speakers, but with no storage space, I did reluctantly sell 6 PA speakers and 2 subwoofers. I think I could be a hoarder. Not proud of it; just being honest.😄 I have 8 DJ computers and about 20 home computers and servers. I own 5 1/2 DJ controllers. The half controller is a little 4U American Audio rack-mount unit.😄 I have mixers, affects processors, mic systems, etcetera, etcetera. More stuff than I can use; even more than I have time to play with.

So how much is enough for someone like me???... Well I probably knew I had enough gear a long time ago. But was my gear fully satisfactory??? Not really. Very few pieces of gear are perfect, and even those that are close get old. New stuff comes out. New options become available that do more, or weigh less, or are easier to setup... on and on. The only way to stop is to stop looking at the stuff coming out.😄 That’s not gonna happen.

One thing I have started doing; if there’s some cool gear I think I want, but don’t really need, I try to buy it used. It’s pretty easy to find gear that’s still in great condition, but costs much less than new. There’s plenty of others like me who have to get rid of some stuff to make room for new stuff, or there’s those who think they wanna DJ, then discover it’s not what they thought.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 06-13-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    OK... I’ll chime in on this one.😄 There’s a certain type of person who’s ALWAYS searching out new tech... I suppose I’m one. I like to constantly keep improving my setups, so I buy more gear and swap out my old gear. I rarely sell any of the old gear, so now I have more gear than places to store it. I’d have more PA speakers, but with no storage space, I did reluctantly sell 6 PA speakers and 2 subwoofers. I think I could be a hoarder. Not proud of it; just being honest.😄 I have 8 DJ computers and about 20 home computers and servers. I own 5 1/2 DJ controllers. The half controller is a little 4U American Audio rack-mount unit.😄 I have mixers, affects processors, mic systems, etcetera, etcetera. More stuff than I can use; even more than I have time to play with.

So how much is enough for someone like me???... Well I probably knew I had enough gear a long time ago. But was my gear fully satisfactory??? Not really. Very few pieces of gear are perfect, and even those that are close get old. New stuff comes out. New options become available that do more, or weigh less, or are easier to setup... on and on. The only way to stop is to stop looking at the stuff coming out.😄 That’s not gonna happen.

One thing I have started doing; if there’s some cool gear I think I want, but don’t really need, I try to buy it used. It’s pretty easy to find gear that’s still in great condition, but costs much less than new. There’s plenty of others like me who have to get rid of some stuff to make room for new stuff, or there’s those who think they wanna DJ, then discover it’s not what they thought.
    Bobcat,

Thanks for chiming in. I’ve resorted to the used gear route too.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I think I could be a hoarder. Not proud of it; just being honest. I have 8 DJ computers and about 20 home computers and servers. I own 5 1/2 DJ controllers. The half controller is a little 4U American Audio rack-mount unit. I have mixers, affects processors, mic systems, etcetera, etcetera. More stuff than I can use; even more than I have time to play with.
    Good evening ...my name is DJ Bobcat...and I'm a gearaholic.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

i have purchased and sold so much gear in my time as a dj. sometimes i come out on top by reselling the gear i got at an excellent price for more money but really i'm breaking even in purchasing newer equipment and selling off the old stuff. it makes sense if you're getting gigs and want to be able to perform at your best. for me , im just a gear junkie. i love new technology, always have, always will. if times get rough, ill sell it, but knowing me ill probbaly buy it right back the first chance i get. ill start the list.

technics sl1200 x 2
    vestax pdx2000 x 2
    stanton c314 x2
    numark dm1002mk2
    numark ppd01
    numark cd-25
    rane mp24
    denon dn x300
    serato sl1
    pioneer djm 707
    tapco 220fx
    behringer 15 inch passive tops x 2
    behringer euro something 16 channel mixer
    behringer ep2500 amp
    behringer m2030a monitors x 4
    event monitors forget the model
    yamaha msp7's x 2
    allen and heath zed 14
    digidesign digi 003 control surface
    technics sl1200 black x 2
    traktor kontrol z2
    rane ttm 56 s
    pioneer djm 900 nexus 2
    pioneer djm 750 mk2
    pioneer djm 850
    ni kontrol d2 x 2
    kontrol x1 x 2
    kontrol f1 x 2
    jbl lsr308 x 2
    jbl lsr310s
    ev elx 118p x 2
    ev elx112p x 2
    behringer mp40bt
    behringer eurolive b1200d x 2
    m audio gsr10.

and tons of more gear that for the sake of everyone ill just stop now. feel free to ask me anything about any of the gear i just mentioned.
    This signature has been censored. - PCWO