Thread: New lighter weight system needed! Help please!

New lighter weight system needed! Help please!

Hi, I have been doing small parties, weddings etc upto say 100 people. I have an IMG Stageline Triton 600, which is a 3 way setup, 2 x 8 inch + 1 inch satelites which are powered from an all in 1 - 15 inch bass box/amplifier.

Sure, its not over powerful at 900 watts total, but I have always liked the way it sounds, and it packs enough volume, probably through being well made and have enough surface area.

Trouble is, the bassbox/amplifier is around 50kg, and im not as young as I used to be, 50kg is quite a weight for 1 speaker!

I need to downsize in weight, but I would still like to pack a similar volume. I was looking at the Mackie SRM450 which are 12 inch all in one, so are these going to back the same sort of punch, or is there no substitute for speaker area without sounding stressed? thus how about the Mackie SRM350s and the mackie SRM bass box (only 30kg for that one)

I also saw in a local shop some funky slim towers from Bose and JBL, what kind of room size are these really adequate for? I heard a bose one on a 50 person sized room, but I dont know how near its limits it was.

Thanks - Geoff.

The problem with all in one speakers is that up on a pole where they need to be to project the highs you lose the boundary reinforcement of lows provided by the floor. You also can't place the sub where it works best, which is close to a wall. The system you have is the right way to do it. Perhaps you could lighten the load of the sub by removing the amp from it, having it separately cased. Where bass output is concerned there's no replacement for displacement, the smaller the driver the less output you'll get from it.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

That sub is mounted on wheels.

Is that a situation where you have trouble lifting it, and/or having to negotiate stairs?

New lighter weight system needed! Help please!

For 50-100 people, pretty much any of those active Bose or JBL line array systems will work. I use RCF EVOX-8’s, and I love them. They don’t pack as much bass as the 15” subs I used before, but it’s more than ample and they sound fantastic. I can use one for small groups and two easily work for 200. They’re also light enough for this old man (me) to move them around with ease.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 06-08-2019 at 11:16 AM.

If you want the same kind of sound quality you need a system with a dedicated sub, so modern version of the system you have will deliver that and weigh considerably less but you have to be prepared to spend some money. I'd suggest something like the EV ELX200-10ps with a 12SP sub, those tops are 13kg and the sub only 19kg, even the 18" sub is only 29kg. Also consider the Turbosound iQ series, there is an 8" top and 15" sub in this line. Some of those line source systems are fairly capable while others not so much, and some sound pretty good while others only average, they all sound a bit different than a traditional speaker and the specs concerning wide coverage have to be taken with a grain of salt. Bottom line is you should be able to find a system that comes in quite a bit lighter than what you have now without giving up any performance.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks, some good advice. I will have a good look at those, and hopefully find something local.

Sure the IMG Stageline bass box does come on casters, but still need to lift it about, in and out of van etc. And yes, I did cut the amp section off the back of the bass box to try and make it manageable, but as I had to re-close off the back of the bass chamber, plus I ended up tuning the port a few hz lower, its still a bit heavy for me.

The IMG setup is rated at 118db MAX, would this be OK to compare other setups to? Most modern ones are 120+db, so hopefully a good bit of headroom over what I have today, without sounding strained, even if I went for a pair of smaller12inch subs, plus satelites.

Claimed maximum SPL is piffle, because it's not a measured result. It's possible that some 12" loaded subs could go as low and as loud as your 15", depending on the drivers, but the only way to know for sure is to have the driver Thiele/Small specs of those 12" and of your 15", which isn't likely.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

FYI here is the results of my research on the same topic which I have put in a separate post here (with some additional Qs.)
    -------------------

I need a lightweight setup for my wife who is a dance therapist, she plays to various rooms of 20-50 dancers, EDM as well as recorded performances so the solution needs to provide the awesome bass that people like to move their body to while at the same time have the sound quality to reproduce haunting vocals and quieter acoustic pieces. The problem is I can't audition where I am so very interested in your comments.

My research has led me to the following shortlist (all 2 tops sitting on 2 subs):

EV ZXA1 with matching 12" subs (8.6kg & 20.9kg, heard these in action in a room of 100 dancers, faultless performance. Getting old so no DSP or variety in inputs)
    EV ELX200-10P tops with ELX200-12SP 12" subs (13.5kg & 19kg, how do these compare to ZXA1?)
    RCF ART 708A MK4 and 12" SUB 702-AS II (10.4kg and 19kg)
    RCF EVOX 8 x2 (23.8kg total. Also the EVOX J8 is lighter again and cheaper, but how does it sound compared to the wooden boxes in the EVOX 8?)

Also possible solutions but the subs are probably too heavy for her getting in and out of the car on her own:

Yamaha DXR8 or 10 tops (12.8kg and 13.9kg) but the pair of DXS12mkII subs (30kg)
    ELX200-10P tops (13.5kg) with 18" ELX20-18SP sub (29kg) or
    QSC K8.2 (12.2kg) with KS112 subs (28kg on castors).

I think when she sees a 30kg sub she will say no, but who knows? The 14.5kg QSC K10.2 tops were too heavy for her. She will probably fall in love with the weight and ease of setup of the EVOX 8.

I am thinking that I should not mix and match tops with subs, instead stick to the pairings that are designed to go together. There are so many good systems at this weight, we really are spoilt for choice.

Hi, sorry to pull up my own post, but due to what happened in the world, I didnt do anything...
    Now looking again after my first small gig on Friday and hauling the 45kg IMG sub about!

A pair of RCF EVOX J8 are high on my list, however, I recently noticed the DB Technologies ES1203, although the sub is slightly heavier, its only a single sub box, so one less box to haul, and the tops can be mounted in stereo. The specs say the ES1203 drops a little lower (35hz) compared to the RCF (40hz) but does it really, or being a pair of 12s in a smallish box, will it sound a bit honky / one note bass?

Many Thanks - Geoff.

The only way to se sure of how they compare, other than by trying them side by side, is to compare their measured response and maximum SPL charts.
    Bill Fitzmaurice