Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED ADVICE! How do you keep your gear/cords organized?

NEED ADVICE! How do you keep your gear/cords organized?

Hi everyone! I'm not a DJ but I need advice from everyone here who is. My fiancé is a DJ who does mostly weddings and some proms. He's really good at what he does (in my biased opinion), but he always throws all his extension cords and other cables into an old backpack after each gig, and when he goes to set up next time, it's not very organized at all. I want to help him and get him some stuff that will keep his stuff more organized as a wedding present. What are your suggestions and must-haves for keeping your cords wrapped neatly and organized? Is there a certain kind of bag that can hold a bunch of them more neatly than a backpack? Please comment and suggestions you have! Also I'm on a budget so preferably cheaper ideas.

two words
    velcro strips.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    two words
    velcro strips.
    Thank you!

NEED ADVICE! How do you keep your gear/cords organized?

Quote Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm not a DJ but I need advice from everyone here who is. My fiancé is a DJ who does mostly weddings and some proms. He's really good at what he does (in my biased opinion), but he always throws all his extension cords and other cables into an old backpack after each gig, and when he goes to set up next time, it's not very organized at all. I want to help him and get him some stuff that will keep his stuff more organized as a wedding present. What are your suggestions and must-haves for keeping your cords wrapped neatly and organized? Is there a certain kind of bag that can hold a bunch of them more neatly than a backpack? Please comment and suggestions you have! Also I'm on a budget so preferably cheaper ideas.
    What you describe is pretty typical for Mobile DJ’s... When you get ready to pack up at the end of an event, the venue staff are often anxious to go home and often pressure you to pack up so quickly, it’s REALLY difficult to do in such a way to keep things organized. As OCD as I am, I’ve come to the realization that I can not to get too caught up in an attempt to pack everything back the way it was before I set it up.

The key, however, is to take some time AFTER the event (the next day or so) to reorganize all your cables or anything else you wrapped up too quickly to do it properly. I keep my cables in a large gig bad like this...

... Inside my gig bag, I have several packing cubes of various colors and sizes that I use to keep like cables together...

... Then I use labeled Ziplock bags to put cables into, which then go into the Packing Cubes... and there’s a specific order those Ziplocks are placed in the Packing Cubes.😄

Yes... I know it’s CRAZY, but when I get to a gig, it’s VERY quick and easy to find any cable I might need. After an event, I just roll my cables and stack them in the top of the gig bag, then reorganize them later. It only takes an hour or so to put all the cables back in their Ziplocks and Packing Cubes after a gig... Well worth the time expended.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 05-28-2019 at 06:20 PM.

This is super helpful thank you. Just the kind of suggestions I need! I will definitely look into buying something like that bag.

Do you happen to have a link to the bag you use or one similar?

Quote Originally Posted by mccoy View Post
    Do you happen to have a link to the bag you use or one similar?
    Here ya go...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ility_Bag.html

Good luck!😊

Awesome thanks!

Adding two cents. I store my cables and adaptors in a mic stand bag. I use this because it's easy to carry and wide - so you can find a specific cable very quickly.

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Great idea, thank you!