Thread: Too many pre amps? Serious sound problems. Help

Too many pre amps? Serious sound problems. Help

I've recently added a second Technics 1200 and a Numark M4 mixer to my set up and am having major problems with the sound.

I've got a Yamaha A-S501 amp and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze speakers which when directly connected to my first 1200 provided a lovely sound.

Having added the second deck and the mixer, I can only get a clear sound if I have the mixer volume almost at nothing - and it doesn't sound great.

I've changed the selector at the back of the amp to the 'low' output setting, the 'pure direct' button is off and the loudness is set to flat but I don't know what else to do.

Mixer output is from 'master' using standard RCA into phono in the amp. Both decks are going into phono in the mixer. Standard set up.

I was thinking that because the amp contains a pre-amp and so does the mixer then I've got too much power going through? I've searched online but can't find a solution.

Can anyone help? Thanks

OK, you answered your own question. You went from the turntable to the phono in on the mixer (this is correct), you went from the main out of the mixer (this is correct) to the phono in on the amp (THIS IS WRONG). You should be coming from your mixer main out into a line channel on your amp, not the phono in since the mixer has already taken care of the phono preamp stage for you & there's no need to do it again since the signal is now at line level. Also, keep in mind that your mixer phono channels are on one & three, channel two is strictly for line level inputs.

Welcome to the forums, just so you know you have posted this in the wrong section but glad to help you all the same.

Last edited by Incognito; 05-26-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

When we say line channel we mean "CD" or "AUX" on your amp. Basically anything without a pre-amp.
    Sending a loud line level to the phono stage can even damage the phono pre-amp on your amp.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

That's sorted it, thanks so much for your help

You're welcome, good to hear.
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta