Thread: DDJ RR controller correct audio setup?

DDJ RR controller correct audio setup?

Hi I’m currently looking at making sure my cables are set up correctly with my pioneer ddj rr controller. The idea is to make sure it’s correct and hopefully to improve sound quality.

I want to be able to go from the TRS Booth output on the DDJ to my Hifi Amp (rca). I can then monitor the level independently. I’m using an rca adapter into the booth output of the Ddj (adapter shown in the photo) which is not TRS just TS. The Booth outputs on the DDJ say TRS is this a problem?. I’ve connected this up & the sound quality doesn’t seem fantastic. I also want to come out of the master output into my M-Audio digital recorder to record my sets currently using a stereo rca out from the Ddj to 1/4 jack as shown (not sure if I need TRS for this). I’ve used the adapter but would I be better with dedicated rca out from the DDJ to TRS inputs on the recorder instead of
    an adapter?? The XLR outputs on the mixer will be used to connect to pa speakers at a later date. Can anyone advise if I’m using the correct cables? The balanced/unbalanced TRS things is confusing me! Many thanks, Nick

BDED32B6-1D0C-493F-8C23-1931761E8744.jpg9F517B81-C6E4-4DA1-80EB-85F33AC1C31E.jpg9C41338A-BDAB-4672-BB34-478EE1490E02.jpg

For the booth out... it’s not sounding the best because the adapter you are using is grounding or shorting out one of the outputs. It does work, just not the greatest. What you need here is a 1/4 inch TRS to rca. ( just remember balanced TRS connectors are like an XLR, just a different format. +, -, and shield )
    See Rane note 110 for reference
    https://www.rane.com/note110.html

Similar deal with the M audio adapter, but in reverse.

Can the M audio output on those RCAs while recording on the TRS ? If so it would be cool to use the TRS booth out into the TRS in on the M audio, and use the RCAs out to your other amp. The manual does say that it can be used for monitoring.
    The only down side is that you would probably have to leave your booth level control alone. You could put an inline preamp, on the RCA monitor out of the M audio though... use that as a volume control.
    There’s a few options i think....

Quote Originally Posted by bigCcat View Post
    For the booth out... it’s not sounding the best because the adapter you are using is grounding or shorting out one of the outputs. It does work, just not the greatest. What you need here is a 1/4 inch TRS to rca. ( just remember balanced TRS connectors are like an XLR, just a different format. +, -, and shield )
    See Rane note 110 for reference
    https://www.rane.com/note110.html

Similar deal with the M audio adapter, but in reverse.

Can the M audio output on those RCAs while recording on the TRS ? If so it would be cool to use the TRS booth out into the TRS in on the M audio, and use the RCAs out to your other amp. The manual does say that it can be used for monitoring.
    The only down side is that you would probably have to leave your booth level control alone. You could put an inline preamp, on the RCA monitor out of the M audio though... use that as a volume control.
    There’s a few options i think....
    Many thanks for the reply. I went and bought some new custom cables which arrived yesterday. My cables were old & I was using adapters so invested in some quality new cables. Not had chance to connect them up yet but hopefully will see an improvement.