Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to see what others use as a set list for older folks to dance to?

Looking to see what others use as a set list for older folks to dance to?

Hello all, my first post here, so be gentle.

I use to DJ years ago and got back into in the last year, as my son wanted to give it a try, he is 19. I have been doing a few gigs a year mostly for people my age(55) so mostly classic rock, disco, and crooner oldie stuff with some 80's & 90's thrown in.

I find over the last 3 years there has not really been any good POP dance music coming out. I am wondering what kind of tracks other here others play for an older crowd that wants to dance to some modern POP music.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks & have a great day!

Is there maybe a list of relativity current POP songs that are popular to dance to?

Simply Googling for that always has crappy results ... they either fall into EDM only or stuff that is not dansable at all...

Hi, Caro Emerald is good for getting all ages up, as is Hollie Cook

Click here for mobile viewing.

Click here for mobile viewing.
    Last edited by dlove; 05-22-2019 at 04:05 AM.

I'd say look in the modern soul funk and reggae sections - quite often tracks from these genres go on to have big pop success.

Thanks for the suggestions...

I was looking at some remixes of older tunes to through in also for dancing, some of these are not bad, keep in mind I would only mix in part of the songs with others...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3E3wjlSzN-gP5t

I play such a wide variety (including Brazilian, Caribbean, and salsa) that I don’t think people care too much how old the songs are. However, keeping your question in mind … many older artists have continued to put out music, but they are no longer landing on the charts. Often, they’ve been rediscovered by smaller labels. And their music is just as danceable as ever.

I don't find old people really dancing to anything new (unless they are totally in the mood of just dancing). I stick to stuff like Bob Seger-Old time rock n roll, footloose, I love rock n roll-Joan Jett, Twist n Shout, Abba, BeeGees, motown, etc.

I usually find that after the dance floor being open is announced, the crowd tends to die out after a few songs for about 1/2 hr while the younger folks leave to get loaded. That's older people dancing prime time period. If you must play newer stuff for the oldies, you will have to do music that has transcended the ages like Uptown funk, Happy-Pharell, Got this feeling-JT, maybe Despacito?

Giant seems to have all the old people singing along... Purple disco machine remix mixes well, he's still rocking his Funky Town style bassline. Anything with Jess Glynne in it.

I don't play anything Pre 90's but then again I don't do weddings and my DJ'ing is very MARMITE.

Quote Originally Posted by electricsmooth View Post
    I usually find that after the dance floor being open is announced, the crowd tends to die out after a few songs for about 1/2 hr while the younger folks leave to get loaded. That's older people dancing prime time period.
    100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Drop the bass, and the bacon.