Thread: Where to get music?

Where to get music?

Hi all,

I'm a professional sound tech who wants to move into DJing so i can use my own equipment more. I've done some DJing a few years ago while covering for a friend and really enjoyed it. I've scrimped and saved and finally got everything i need together to get out there and start DJing. I want to get into weddings ideally, and have everything needed to get going except one thing - the music. I used to have a huge collection of MP3s that i've deleted over the years as i've gotten lazy on Spotify for all my music. Now the issue is that i want to DJ and have no downloaded music to play!

I have ideas for playlists put together on Spotify with different playlists for different types of crowds (rock, pop, northern soul, etc...), but don't really know where to start when it comes to downloading copies of these tracks. I've done some googling and there are "record pools" that you can sign up to like digitaldjpool.com or beatport.com but these seem like pre-mixed tracks that serve to 'top-up' an existing owned library. A friend recommended "promo only" and "demon music", but the "compilation packages" are so vague in their descriptions that it puts me off buying them.

I ideally want to download individual tracks as mp3s or wavs or whatever that corroborate with the playlists i've made on Spotify so i can practice mixing with. What i'm nervous about is doing my first few gigs with only 200 or so songs and having to tell a client "sorry i don't have the music you want" !

What do you recommend?

I am a mobile jock & I use Promo Only for new stuff. I have the Country & Pop/Hip Hop/top 40 groups & I down load all Country & Pop. The Dance, Hip Hop, Electro etc stuff, I dont even down load cause I dont play much, if any of some of that. I do play a little Hip Hop mixed in.
    So for like $25 per month, I easily get my monies worth. Also, there is no contract, try it & if you dont like it just cancel the account.

For older stuff, I used Amazon & just buy what I need. Singles & albums.
    Some people use iTunes but I kinda have a personal beef with Apple so I dont buy/support Apple/iTunes.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Hi, check out Juno @ https://www.junodownload.com/ for digital tracks and albums; I would go for a bigger size than MP3 as you can always make a copy of a larger bitrate smaller but you can't make a small bitrate bigger

I'm looking at getting the VirtualDJ audio catalog as i'll be using VDJ. Anyone know if its any good?

Hi, I have found

PIRATE WEBSITE LINK REMOVED
    Last edited by Manu; 10-11-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshhobo View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a professional sound tech who wants to move into DJing so i can use my own equipment more. I've done some DJing a few years ago while covering for a friend and really enjoyed it. I've scrimped and saved and finally got everything i need together to get out there and start DJing. I want to get into weddings ideally, and have everything needed to get going except one thing - the music. I used to have a huge collection of MP3s that i've deleted over the years as i've gotten lazy on Spotify for all my music. Now the issue is that i want to DJ and have no downloaded music to play!

I have ideas for playlists put together on Spotify with different playlists for different types of crowds (rock, pop, northern soul, etc...), but don't really know where to start when it comes to downloading copies of these tracks. I've done some googling and there are "record pools" that you can sign up to like digitaldjpool.com or beatport.com but these seem like pre-mixed tracks that serve to 'top-up' an existing owned library. A friend recommended "promo only" and "demon music", but the "compilation packages" are so vague in their descriptions that it puts me off buying them.

I ideally want to download individual tracks as mp3s or wavs or whatever that corroborate with the playlists i've made on Spotify so i can practice mixing with. What i'm nervous about is doing my first few gigs with only 200 or so songs and having to tell a client "sorry i don't have the music you want" !

What do you recommend?
    Hey!
    Sometimes simple answer is the best one.Use SoundCloud Web it has a download button for every track.Because of its large soundpool,while you're downloading you can discover new tracks/albums or playlists out there.Give it a try.
    Take Care!

Quote Originally Posted by tbseferoglu View Post
    Use SoundCloud Web it has a download button for every track.
    Not true. The Soundcloud publisher who runs the account, chooses to make the download available, or not.

Please avoid spreading false information in the future, thanks.